free website stats program No start issue | Harley Davidson Forums

No start issue

James L.

Hey everyone. I just joined the forum. I've visited the site many times and found a lot of great advice. Now, I need help. I just bought a 97 Dyna lowrider. It has the evo engine. The guy I bought it from said he had it started before. I can't get it started. It turns over fine. Battery is good. It is getting gas, I replaced the plugs and checked spark. It has good spark and 160 pounds compression in both cylinders. As long as I'm on the start button it chugs along but wont start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL. What do you mean by chugs along. If its trying to start it could be a timing issue or perhaps an air/fuel mixture problem. Hopefully someone with a higher pay grade will chime in and can help. Good Luck!

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ.
As gator508 said, a little more info will be helpful such as is it all stock? any modifications been done? when was it last runned?

Welcome from Spokane.
Does it have a fuel shut off valve?
Is it open?
Are the plugs wet with fuel. If so dry them, turn the fuel shut off valve to closed to see if it seems to try to start better.
Ignition timing or weak coil output can give similar effects.
Use a old spark plug in 1 wire, ground it to the head and crank over the engine, what color is the spark?

If there is fuel and spark, it should start or at least try, maybe backfiring, popping, etc.; fuel and spark will show that but if still no start, timing, air fuel as has been suggested come into play.

When I see a "no start" post that includes "battery is good" but have "fuel and spark" and "good compression" but no mention of a load test on the battery, no cranking voltage check, I am always suspicious of the battery. I have seen so many similar posts where the owner load tests the battery at Auto Zone and it checks out at say 75%, take it home and as soon a load it applied the batter lays down. Owner replaces battery and, wala, the motor starts with no issue.

Does the OP know how old the batter is? My suggestion would be to cut to the chase and replace the battery with a battery with the required CCA, However, at least get out the multi-meter and check cranking voltage. Once we know there is a good battery and still not start, we can move on to other sources of the problem. JMHO.

Back