free website stats program NO Spark @ Plug | Harley Davidson Forums

NO Spark @ Plug

MDCowboy

My 883 just started to Intermittently shut off. It will do it at speed or just cruising. It goes dead, bangs, runs, (EDIT), run some more, and then dies. The bike will not fire after that. I checked the spark (none), and then it will spark again. As soon as I get on to move (gas it), it dies. I will crank and crank, then magic it is runs. It will now run all day or two minutes. Again NO spark.
I have changed out the coil with no help.
I thought it might be the VOES, but that was wrong.
I have read the manual with no fixes.
ANY HELP here please!!

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Intermittant problems are hard to find, and though you are frustrated it helps to keep a cool head. That said, maybe you have a pinched or receding pin/wire under the seat. The ignition module/wiring underneath passes by metal frame and brackets. Also the ignition wiring is solid wire, but with resistor caps threaded into them at the plug and coil ends. You also have fuse box with clip connections and of course plenty of wiring passing thru steering head area on up to the handlebar controls. Look at some simple schematics in the Self Help section, or do a Search and type in key words like ignition and starting to find related threads if you continue tohave a hard time reading/understanding the rather complex ones in the manuals. Good Luck.:s

Problem fixed!!! The ignition control module was intermittent. If your bike just stops and you get no spark, try shooting the ignition module (all covers removed) with a can of "canned air". Flip the can upside down and spray liquid all around the module. I got about 15 miles more after I froze it good..
Had to buy another module @ $284 to fix..

Problem fixed!!! The ignition control module was intermittent. If your bike just stops and you get no spark, try shooting the ignition module (all covers removed) with a can of "canned air". Flip the can upside down and spray liquid all around the module. I got about 15 miles more after I froze it good..
Had to buy another module @ $284 to fix..

Thanks for the update, ouch on the $284.

So you are saying the ICM was too hot (failing) and you froze it to get in?

I thought it might be ICM, so I took the nose cone cover off and the backing plate so the ICM was accessable. When the motor quit I just shot the ICM (and backplate) till it was cold. Bike started right up and it lasted for about 15 Miles before it died again. Resprayed and made it home. The ICM is a sealed, HAD to buy another..

I thought it might be ICM, so I took the nose cone cover off and the backing plate so the ICM was accessable. When the motor quit I just shot the ICM (and backplate) till it was cold. Bike started right up and it lasted for about 15 Miles before it died again. Resprayed and made it home. The ICM is a sealed, HAD to buy another..

That's pretty cool, I doubt I would have ever thought of that.

That's a commonly overlooked troubleshooting tip and not too many check the self help area...

Harley Davidson Community

Back