free website stats program No Rear Tire Traction - Endless Burn Out | Harley Davidson Forums

No Rear Tire Traction - Endless Burn Out

balduc-2

Need some help here I have a '05 XL1200C and I can not get any traction from my rear tire. The current tire is a Continental Milestone (500+ miles). The previous tires before my current one were a oem Dunlop and a Pirelli route 66 both have the same condition as I face today.

As soon as I take off from a stop sign the bike wants to spin the rear tire and go into a burnout. This will occur throughout all the gears 1st thru 5th. I can be going 70 and hit the gas and the rear tire will spin. I don't notice any oil or liquid on the tire that would make this happen. The motor and transmission seem to act normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is kind of embarrassing when scooters are passing me, and down right dangerous.

Hoople,
If I remember correctly the speedo did not move much with more throttle, but I will verify the mph change tomorrow.

Fastlinnie,
What is the procedure to check the clutch and determine if my clutch is bad or good??

put the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and see if it will take off or just set still and engine rev up. I would bet your clutch is slipping . or you can be in 5th gear about 45 mph then hit the throttle if the engine revs up big time without the mph going up much or any your clutch is slipping.

Unless OP's smelling rubber...you're right on the loose clutch condition. If tire's spinning that much, you'd definitely smell it, or see the tread wear...

If tire's spinning that much, you'd definitely smell it, or see the tread wear...

It'd be easy enough to have someone just ride behind him and verify if the tire is in fact spinning as the engine revs. Should be at least a little smoke from burning rubber and the bike would probably fishtail a bit.

If the wheel was spinning every time you accelerate then tyre wear would be excessive

Brian

Back