free website stats program No rear brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

No rear brakes

adamstw

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 1999 Dyna suddenly lost all rear braking power. Fluid good, no noticable leaks and no indications prior to loss of brakes one day. Could the pads or calipers be stuck open?.....Any help greatly appreciated......Terry

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 1999 Dyna suddenly lost all rear braking power. Fluid good, no noticable leaks and no indications prior to loss of brakes one day. Could the pads or calipers be stuck open?.....Any help greatly appreciated......Terry

You certainly should be able to check this visually, with or without a helper. Actuate the rear brake lever while closely watching the rear brakes.

A wee bit more information required what happens when you press the pedal
Do you feel pressure or does the pedal drop to the stop is there any noise etc etc

Brian

Thanks Guys.....I will visually inspect for movement of the pads. I'm obviously inexperienced on motorcycles. Also to Brian, the foot brake just goes straight to the stop. no pressure or noise even when pumped. I can change my own discs on my cars but have never tried a bike. I thought hydraulics would work the same though...Thank you both for any help.....Terry

If the pads show no movement and the pedel goes stright to the stop and the fluid level is right-time to rebuild the master cyl.

As Don said master cylinder seals are folding so time to do a rebuild
master cylinder rebuild kit will have a replacement piston with the seals already fitted
when you strip the master cylinder take note of the exact orientation of the parts ie which way round everything is
Nothing difficult in doing a master cylinder rebuild just read the service manual and if you have any problems just ask as we are usually here

Brian

Back