free website stats program No Power to the radio | Harley Davidson Forums

No Power to the radio

MrThumper

Account Removed
Radio will not turn on. fuse is ok, took the radio out and had it refurbished, they told me i had a bad power board. Reinstalled the radio and it still will not power up.

I need a diagnostic flow chart and a good wireing diagram...:bigsmiley20:

Radio will not turn on. fuse is ok, took the radio out and had it refurbished, they told me i had a bad power board. Reinstalled the radio and it still will not power up.

If you had the radio refurbished and you have power to it and a good ground it will turn on,if it doesn't they messed up refurbishing it.

As with any repairs, they should have given you the old parts, that said, when you say the radio does not turn on, nothing happens? The dial light or LED displays do not come on, you hear no click or "bump" from your speakers like power is reaching the audio amp, no hiss from the speakers "DEAD?"

If totally nothing, I would wrap it up immediately have it looked at by your "refurbishment" service center...or pay to have it looked at for a small "checking charge" from another local servicer just to get a second opinion. OR since it must be under warranty for 90 days minimum parts and labor, get a return authorization immediately and send it back, only this time demand the old parts back, with itemized list of what they found and what they "refurbished".

MrThumper I see by your post, you checked the fuse. Was this visual or did you use a OHM meter.

If the fuse turns out to be good ,check for 12v DC using a good ground. If there is no voltage then it may not be your radio , but a wiring harness problem.

Here is a link to the 2006 Service Manual for Touring Model:

HARLEY DAVIDSON Touring Models MOTORCYCLE Workshop Service Repair Manual 2006 - HD Talking Downloads Page - Harley Davidson Community

Actually, I had made an assumption that your initial diagnosis was that you had verified the power source and fuses were getting 12V and ground (you did ground the outside of the radio?) and that radio was "dead" absolutely no evidence of functioning whatsoever. And then after your refurb it is doing exactly the same thing. Is this correct? and is this where you are at...+12V is at the accessory plug, and ground wire to chassis (if you are using extension harness or jumpers have they been verified for continuity with a meter as well? :33:

I did check for clean tight ground. Idid not ground the body of the radio because the radio bracket is bolted to ground but I will try that. Fuse is good visually and contnuity. As for voltage at the radio I could not tell what wires to test at radio conection because of the (EDIT) poor diagram in the harley repair manual. The original radio was tested by a independant repair man authorized for the radio manufacturer, he said the power board was cracked. When he tried getting the parts the manufacturer todhim the parts were exclusive to HD. So I had it refurbed at the HD dealer, But it was a radio trade. As mine was being sent, a refub was sentfrom the refurb place. for $275

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

I was thinking wire harness too that is why I want a flow chart and a good diagram...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back