free website stats program No power to start my Sporty! | Harley Davidson Forums

No power to start my Sporty!

pantherjim

Went riding on Labor day with no issues. Even stop off for lunch w/o any problems starting. Rode to my siter's house hung out for a few hours and when I was ready to go home, I went to start the bike by turning the key and turn on the run switch and press the start button in which it turned over but did not start completely. Went to try again and saw there were no lights or any display on the speedo or anything. No power to start eventhough the battery was @ 12.8v and all the fuses were good. When you turn the key from off to acc position there is a jump of the speedo needle but no lights and when you turn the key to the on or ignition position there is nothing. I found some wiring diagrams for the bike but don't know where to start trouble shooting. I also check the 30amp circuit breaker fuse. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pantherjim

Might check all the ends of the battery cables at the positive end and ground also at the starter.

I always put a little grease on the battery posts too to get a good conection. Don't over-tighten the screws - they will strip/break.

The battery is 2 or 3 months old from the local Harley dealer.

Food for thought: i have found that New doesn't mean it is Good... I've had one go bad in that time span and it shower the right amount of juice inside... ??? Internal short??

That New of a battery, being ease to take it to the shop and Let them check it out..

Hopefully..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for info. I'm unemployed and not great deal of $$ to spend on service or Labor right now. Trying to gather enough info to check out. The bike is over @ my Sister's and Brother in-law house (that is where it stop working), so it is a matter when I can get over there and check out what items that were suggested from members. Thanks again and check out as soon as I can get over there!

Jim,

Do you have a battery tender on it now? Also, if you are going to troubleshoot, you need to start with a fully charged battery.

What part of the world are you located?

Back