free website stats program No power to front of bike | Harley Davidson Forums

No power to front of bike

DurtyKurty

I've recently purchased my first Harley (1991 FLHTC) and I'm running into a problem already, which is quite simply killin' me. Winter is coming and I've got to get her running asap, or she'll be sitting til' spring. After a recent ride, I turned off the bike, and a few miniutes later I attempted another ride. When I turned the ignition switch, nothing. No dash, head lights, nothing. I've tested/cleaned the battery and cables to starter...all good. Any thoughts? BTW...there was apparently no problem before this and no intermittent issues. :newsmile03:

Start by checking the circuit breakers. I think they are under the left side cover on your bike.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I replaced the Main Circuit breaker, to no avail. I charged the battery again, just in case, but nothing. As far as I can tell, all wiring to the front of bike is in good condition. I'm guessing my next step should be to replace the four (4) circuit breakers inside the fairing, but oddly enough, I discovered my cigarette lighter is working (but that's it). I wonder if its the ignition switch...argghhhh! Also, a friend suggested that it might be the starter relay?

By the way...thanks again for the help! Very cool!

Check the harness where it bends around the neck. Sometimes you can have a broken wire in there from years of turning being a 91.

Also before you replace breakers, test with a test light or a meter to see if there is power going in and coming out of each breaker with the ignition on .Power in and not out is a bad breaker. If you work back into the bike from there testing the harness at the connection points as you go, you'll find the problem as you test for where you loose the power.

Thanks for the replies, gents. I replaced the Main Circuit breaker, to no avail. .. .. .. . . I'm guessing my next step should be to replace the four (4) circuit breakers inside the fairing, but oddly enough, I discovered my cigarette lighter is working (but that's it). I wonder if its the ignition switch...argghhhh! . .. .. ..

Glider's steps sounds like a good elimination procedure. Can you trace the cig lighter back to see where it's getting it's power ? Or better yet, turn the ignition off and see if the cig lighter works. That will eliminate (or suspect) the ignition switch.

But after that do what Glider said, I assume you mean FUSES when you say circuit breakers. Pull the fuses and then turn on the igntion and test a voltmeter across the tabs.

The early models have breakers.

Well ain't that something. I've never seen a vehicle (2 or 4 wheels) with breakers. Always just seen them in buildings. I would really like to see what kind of bus bar arrangement they have the breakers on.

Back