free website stats program No Power on My '80 Super Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

No Power on My '80 Super Glide

I just bought a '80 Super Glide. Bought a new battery, installed it and get nothing. No lights, no nothing.
Have voltage at the headlight, oil pressure light and other accessories.
Jumped across the solenoid and got power but just clicked when I hit the starter button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Machine Vile

!st just try & spin starter off battery do not engage solenoid make shire it spins. put in gear roll bike is motor free to turn.. & welcome..

Sounds like a bad cable connection either on the battery or the other end of the cables. Remove them all and clean them but remove the NEG first and install it last.

If it's not that, then you have a problem elsewhere like the contacts in the solenoid or the starter relay.

First of all...thanks to everyone that responded. It's good to know that I have support to help me figure this thing out.

It was a combination of wiring to the battery not being correct (figured that out by looking at the wiring diagram) and the relay switch being bad.

Fixed both and now I have no spark so I'm in the process of troubleshooting that. Is it possible that if points and condenser are bad that I wouldn't have spark? I have troubleshooted from the Harley shop manual up to the ignition module but it says nothing about the points or condenser.

This is my first hog so I'm learning new things. I did some research last night and found out it is an FXEF-80 Fat Bob. I was pretty pleased to find that out.

Thanks again everybody!

Machine Vile

Is it possible that if points and condenser are bad that I wouldn't have spark?

Either one could cause a no spark condition. If you open the points and disconnect the condenser wire and turn on the ignition, you should be able to light a test light on the points wire, this would indicate the circuit to the points is OK and the problem is either with the points themselves or condenser.Replacement and adjustment of the points should solve the problem.

1980 SuperGlide will not have points, unless someone backtracked. Would explain why the manual does not mention them.

As the bike is new to you it may just be good practise to replace the points and condenser anyway these items have a fairly short lifespan anyway and once you get the bike going itll be a regular service item
always a good idea to keep a spare set handy

Brian

So apparently someone converted it to points at some point in it's life. I changed the points and condenser ($23) and got spark. I put the spark plugs back in and it started right up. Not bad for sitting 10 years and rebuilding the carburetor myself.

I got it home. It's running a little rough so I have to readjust the points and tune the carb.
Any tips on tuning the carb? It's an S&S Super.

The only problem I have no is it's not charging. Gonna troubleshoot that today.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Machine Vile

Back