free website stats program No oil! | Harley Davidson Forums

No oil!

05Train

Took the bike out of winter storage today and checked the oil before starting... tank was bone dry. Is this normal? Dealer told me to remove the plugs and crank over the bike and the oil would be pushed back to tank. What do you guys recommend?
Bike is a 2005 Injected Night Train FXSTBI.

Took the bike out of winter storage today and checked the oil before starting... tank was bone dry. Is this normal? Dealer told me to remove the plugs and crank over the bike and the oil would be pushed back to tank. What do you guys recommend?
Bike is a 2005 Injected Night Train FXSTBI.

Not uncommon for a Softail, Look where the oil tank is, Gravity will pull the oil from the tank and Flood the case, Starting the bike like this it will puke oil out the air cleaner, I would pull the plugs, ground them and crank the motor over in short bursts so as not to over heat the starter

Any harm if you don't ground the plugs before cranking?

Might set a code, but the biggest worry is the serious bite you or someone else might get if you or they become the path to ground for the plugs!!

TQ

On my 06 sportster, I start it and watch the oil return into the oil tank (cap off).

DON'T BLIP the throttle:newsmile055:, just a slow idle and in about 60 seconds it is back up to the top level in my bike...:s

My 06 1200 R always is down after a few days sitting but comes back to the cold level after started like above.

IF your bike is not leaking oil when put away, and it was FULL of oil, the level will come back...

signed....BUBBIE

Back