free website stats program No oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

No oil pressure

kilbourn24

HELP! I've got no oil pressure and the dummy light is on. I just bought my bike a few months ago and have had no problems until now. I was just riding home from work, no unusual noises, just the oil light came on and pressure dropped to 0. No leaks that I can tell, it does burn a bit of oil and drips from the breather hose, but from what I've been told that seems normal. Any help would be great before I have to take it in. Thanks!
Mike

HELP! I've got no oil pressure and the dummy light is on. I just bought my bike a few months ago and have had no problems until now. I was just riding home from work, no unusual noises, just the oil light came on and pressure dropped to 0. No leaks that I can tell, it does burn a bit of oil and drips from the breather hose, but from what I've been told that seems normal. Any help would be great before I have to take it in. Thanks!
Mike

FIRST - DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. You need to figure out if and why you have no oil pressure. If you have the time, inclination and ability to work on the bike yourself, get the HD Factory Service Manual.

Find the oil pressure sending unit. On my bike ('03 UC), it is on the right front of the engine pointing straight ahead, and requires a special crows foot socket to remove. Take the sending unit out and replace it with a manual gauge. Briefly start the engine to determine if there is oil pressure. If not,

SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY

If there is oil pressure, replace the oil pressure sending unit and have a nice day.

If there is no oil pressure, I would suspect the gears in the oil pump have sheared the key and are not turning. See the book!!

Let us know what you find with the oil pressure test.

TQ

Mike

Is it logical to assume that if he made it home without the engine seizing, there is oil circulating and the problem is in the sensor? How long would the engine run without any oil pressure?

Is it logical to assume that if he made it home without the engine seizing, there is oil circulating and the problem is in the sensor? How long would the engine run without any oil pressure?

No idea, but definitely would not recommend running the engine until certain that there is oil pressure (manual gauge). At that point, then its a big "whew!", and figure it has to be the sending unit (since both the dashboard gauge AND light are on).

TQ

check oil level if its good dont start it romove the sending unit and replace manual gauge if pressure returns replace the sending unit if not dont run it check pump let us know what you find

Still waiting on word from the shop. Right now it looks like it is either the oil pump or the sheared key. I'll update when it comes home!

I have the same problem...

I have an 04 Ultra Classic, about mid-season I started the sled and noticed the idiot light was on. After a couple of minutes it went off and I thought nothing of it.

About a month ago, after a long ride, I changed the engine and tranny oil, started the beast up and went for another ride. Everything was fine until about a week ago.

Again, morning start and the idiot light stayed on. This time, I noticed the oil pressure gauge and it was at 0.

I turned the beast off and am getting ready to take the sending unit off and try the manual gauge tonight.

Someone mentioned that HD has had issues with the crank pin and it causing the gears to break. Has anyone heard this?

FIRST - DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. You need to figure out if and why you have no oil pressure. If you have the time, inclination and ability to work on the bike yourself, get the HD Factory Service Manual.

Find the oil pressure sending unit. On my bike ('03 UC), it is on the right front of the engine pointing straight ahead, and requires a special crows foot socket to remove. Take the sending unit out and replace it with a manual gauge. Briefly start the engine to determine if there is oil pressure. If not,

SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY

If there is oil pressure, replace the oil pressure sending unit and have a nice day.

If there is no oil pressure, I would suspect the gears in the oil pump have sheared the key and are not turning. See the book!!

Let us know what you find with the oil pressure test.

TQ
Well, the bad news is in. Everything you mentioned and then some. The oil pump was shot, the gears were destroyed, the key was turned and jammed, and the shaft was bent! Worst possible case!!!! $920.00 later, the bike has been brought home and stored for the winter. Better luck next spring. Thanks for all the posts.

Well, the bad news is in. Everything you mentioned and then some. The oil pump was shot, the gears were destroyed, the key was turned and jammed, and the shaft was bent! Worst possible case!!!! $920.00 later, the bike has been brought home and stored for the winter. Better luck next spring. Thanks for all the posts.

I think the worse possible case would have been a destroyed engine due to no oil pressure.

Back