free website stats program no oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure

nascar7613

1997 Road King, totally stock engine. Had a leak at the oil pump. Took off oil pump, replaced the gaskets, check ball, o rings, shaft keys. Took it all apart and blew out all of the passages. Reassembled everything and now I have no oil pressure. I packed the gears with lubricant during reassembly. All the parts are installed correctly. Is there something I should do to reprime the oil pump?

Let me tell you what I did. I took out the oil light switch and screwed in a tube, hooked up my vacuum bleeder to the tube and put vacuum to it until I could see a little oil coming thru the line. Put the switch back in, started the bike and had oil pressure after about 2 seconds. I guess there was a large amount of air somewhere in the system.

If you packed the gears with a grease type lubricant then that is your problem. The pump won't pump thick material. Disassemble,lube with oil.Remove the ball check valve and fill that cavity with oil before start up. I usually let the feed line flow, to help fill the pump, for a few minutes also before starting.
tourbox

If you packed the gears with a grease type lubricant then that is your problem. The pump won't pump thick material. Disassemble,lube with oil.Remove the ball check valve and fill that cavity with oil before start up. I usually let the feed line flow, to help fill the pump, for a few minutes also before starting.
tourbox

What he said + make sure you remove your plugs while trying to get oil pressure back ( if you haven't already)

Regards

Back