free website stats program no oil pressure after cam & head change | Harley Davidson Forums

no oil pressure after cam & head change

B-1B_Guy

Fellas,

Just installed Woods TW7H cams (with SE billet support plate) and Hillside Stage 3 heads. Started the bike and I don't have any oil pressure. NONE!!!!! Killed the bike immediately. I pulled the lower rocker and I can see that I have some more grinding to do but where is my oil pressure? I turned the bike over by hand to seat the oil pump as the service manual says...ideas? Need some help.........

did you pull the plugs and crank to see if it pumped up ?

when i did the plate and pump on the 04 it took at least 30seconds of cranking for 5-10 then stop then 5-10 sec to get oil pressure on it .. did you replace all the orings between pump and block and plate and block ?

Bud,

I did replace all seals, followed the service manual step by step. I didn't let it run for 30 secs.......got scared and killed it. I did use assembly lube on everything and poured fresh oil on the valve springs and down the pushrods before cranking. Ever had to grind out the lowers before? I don't like it....but I'm learning alot. Thanks for help.

jim

i cranked it plugs out till i got oil pressure before i started it on my buddys.. i never had to grind out the lowers ..

if you turned the engine over by hand as you aligned the pump you should be good to go ..

One of my tech's while installing the cam plate let a o-ring slip out of place and got jammed so the oil was leaking between the case & cam plate loosing the oil pressure.

Thanks Bud,

I'll do some more grinding and then reassemble (again).....will let you know how it turns out. This build is getting tiresome. Hopefully, it'll be worth the time. Try the cams out yet?

nope not till after daytona .. and witht he way things been going maybe long after that i had to replace brand new clutch cable tonight .. had some creep so adjusted clutch then adjusted cable squeezed lever and pop cable broke in middle.. never even rode with it .. like you this winter aint been the best for mods..

chopper is right on the orings i used little grease to hold um in place ..

Chopper,

At this point I'm disgusted that I have to completely dissamble everything but I think I'll go ahead and pull the cam plate to verify everything is in place. I'm so sick of grinding these lowers that I'm about ready to buy the S&S boxes that are made to fit 1.66 springs and just be done with it. I'm a fairly patient man but this is getting ridiculous.

I don't know if it applies also to HD oil pumps in general, but I know when building a cage engine you must/should pack the oil pump with assembly fluid or gear oil during installation in order for it to 1st time prime correctly.

Back