free website stats program No mess filter change. | Harley Davidson Forums

No mess filter change.

kdaddy

I keep a box of 1 gallon zip lock freezer bags in the garage. When ready for a filter change i just wrench the filter until it loosens a bit. I slip a bag over the filter and around the filter housing pulling it up snug. I spin the filter by hand a few partial turns at a time from the end with my hand outside the bag til it falls off inside the bag. Let it set for minute and carefully remove the bag and quickly wipe the few drops off the housing face. No more oil on the frame at all.
While doing this i have already turned my new filter hole up in its box and pour in a couple oz. Of oil and roll it around a bit and let it sit. This wets the membrane and prevents the time for oil circulation at startup.

I keep a box of 1 gallon zip lock freezer bags in the garage. When ready for a filter change i just wrench the filter until it loosens a bit. I slip a bag over the filter and around the filter housing pulling it up snug. I spin the filter by hand a few partial turns at a time from the end with my hand outside the bag til it falls off inside the bag. Let it set for minute and carefully remove the bag and quickly wipe the few drops off the housing face. No more oil on the frame at all.
While doing this i have already turned my new filter hole up in its box and pour in a couple oz. Of oil and roll it around a bit and let it sit. This wets the membrane and prevents the time for oil circulation at startup.

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking to make this a cleaner job. But I was wondering, I assume your motor is pretty cool when you do this, otherwise the bag might melt to something? I have started using a piece of very thin sheet metal or a piece of a wax-coated cardboard around this area, and drip the runoff right into a pan.

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking to make this a cleaner job. But I was wondering, I assume your motor is pretty cool when you do this, otherwise the bag might melt to something? I have started using a piece of very thin sheet metal or a piece of a wax-coated cardboard around this area, and drip the runoff right into a pan.

I usually wait until my pipes are cool enough to touch. I drain the oil first and replace the plug. I change my filter last and then refill with oil. Never a melted bag.

Great tip, can't wait to try it. What part of Tennessee are you from? My brother lives in Clarksville. Hopefully I will be down that way this summer for a few runs.

That shouldn't be too far from Clarksville. If I ever make it down there I'll shoot you a PM and see if we can meet up for a ride. Until then ride safe.

I place a thin piece of sheet metal under the filter, then I punch 2 holes in the end of the filter ( one high, one low). Let oil run down into pan, when it's done dripping, remove filter.

I place a thin piece of sheet metal under the filter, then I punch 2 holes in the end of the filter ( one high, one low). Let oil run down into pan, when it's done dripping, remove filter.

thanks I think I like this idea!! will give it a try next time..
this in conjunction with the plastic jug or sheet metal ideas should make for a fairly clean oil change....:s

Bill

Back