free website stats program No high gear/speed power | Harley Davidson Forums

No high gear/speed power

unoeod

Hi, I have a 2008 Harley FLHTC 96" with K&N air and Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust. All pots are set to recommended settings (Grn 2:30, Yel 3:30, Red 3:30, RPM 4:00). I've had the TFI for 2.5 years.
The past 6mos, it falls on it's face upon reaching half open throttle or more. Wide open throttle, especially in 6th gear, it drags down until I back off to 1/2 throttle or downshift. I have to feather (wiggle slightly) the throttle to get it to run 70mph or higher.
Is this a TFI issue? Fuel filter? Fuel Pump (HD said mine was not recalled)? I ran a can a "HEET" through the tank and it would reach 76mph, but the issue and symptoms were still present.
The instructions indicate POT#3 (Red LED) may be too high? Or am I reading it backwards?
BTW, it runs great from 2000-3500rpm in any gear. High RPMs and high gears is where it falls on it's face.
Thanks for any help!

You could have an issue with the fuel filter, air filter or fuel pressure. Any of which could cause the problem you are having. When the demand for fuel is higher as in the higher speeds is when it will show itself.

I doubt it could be the TFI doing it.

If you check all three things mentioned above and find them OK then you will have to go deeper.

Has it set any codes?

I will clean the air filter and replace the fuel filter first. If no improvement, I'll take it to HD for fuel pressure tests. I don't have manuals or tools to troubleshoot something more than minor maintenance. I hope fuel filter replacement is minor maintenance...
Thanks for your assistance Glider!

BTW, I'm not sure how to check codes...does it flash on one of the instruments or do I need an external code reader??

Last edited by a moderator:
you said your bike is 08 I just recently replaced 2 tank cap assemblies on 08what seems to be happening is the base where your fuel filter shell mounts is warping so you start losing fuel pressure. I am presently waiting for moco to receive parts that I sent them to inspect will see how that comes out anyway may be your problem to

Wow, do I feel like an I-D-I-O-T....
First, thank you everyone for your advise...it was spot on.
The story...Since 5K miles, I've taken it to Biker's Bay for routine maintenance. Guess what they didn't touch.....the air filter. I took it off and it was absolutely gross! 18K miles without air filter cleaning will limit power!
Luckily I had the K&N cleaning/oil kit for my Tahoe's filter. So, I cleaned it, dried it oiled it, put it in, and jumped on. It hit 95 in 6th and was still climbing when I backed off the throttle.
Issue solved and Biker's Bay will never get my business again.
Not that they care because I've since moved to a different state.
But anyway. I also checked the codes. It had P 1356 which referenced on the internet is rear cylinder not firing. I cleared the code before my ride, and rechecked. It is gone. No other error codes.
Again, thank you everyone for your input and super advise! Y'all are the best!
:cheers

Glad to hear you got a handle on it and it all came down to the air filter.

Nice to hit a home run and keep your $$$ in your pocket.

Yes, and the $$$ I'm saving will now go towards the K&N Aircharger (63-1122P) filter to gain more surface area.
I'm convinced the current filter (HD-1508) even clean, is restricting air/HP.

(Never give the $$$ back to the wife and tell her you fixed it yourself!! LOL)

Back