free website stats program No fuel to cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

No fuel to cylinder

Ross McCallum

I have a 2008 1200 Sportster. Spark, all fuses and relays ok, can hear the fuel pump engage but only starts when I spray starter fluid into intake. runs and quits.

Does the fuel pump keep running or does it shut off when it builds pressure?

Does the fuel pump keep running or does it shut off when it builds pressure?
shuts off after a couple seconds. Whistling sound if I have the throttle open a little after cranking. Guys at HD in Honolulu told me to check fuel pump pressure. Said there could be pin holes in the line causing loss of pressure. Only smell fuel after cranking but no lingering fuel smell. This all began after just sitting overnight. cranked but battery was low. removed battery (it's HD original and less than a year old). positive screw was welded in , head twisted off with light pressure on 1/4" drive ratchet. Couldn't get stub out after several attempts. HD replaced it as warranty item because post was partially melted. Have put new plugs, checked all fuses and relays, saw spark when plug was grounded on engine but only attempted to start after removing intake cover and filter and shooting starter fluid.

Easy way to check for pin holes in the fuel line is to remove the gas cap and look inside the tank. Then turn on the key and see if the fuel in the tank begins to move rapidly when the fuel pump starts

You can disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail. Then turn on ign. and see if fuel pumps from tank. Use a catch bowl/tank etc. If plenty of fuel the the injectors are plugged or not getting a pulse to open.
tourbox

Back