free website stats program No fuel to carb | Harley Davidson Forums

No fuel to carb

Freegul

I have a 2000 sportster 1200 custom that won't start. I have narrowed it down to fuel not getting into carb. I have removed petcock and cleaned filter. Fuel seems to be getting to the petcock by testing with new vacuum line. When I spray gas into the carb,she fires right up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is the fuel getting through the petcock
is the fuel getting through the fuel line
Disconnect the fuel line from the carb place the end into a suitable container and turn the petcock to the on position if it is vacuum operated petcock apply some suction to the vacuum pipe
If fuel flows then the problem is in the carb if it does not then either the petcock or the fuel line is the problem
Disconnect the fuel line at the petcock and again check for fuel flow if nothing at the petcock then replace it if there is fuel at the petcock then the fuel line is the problem and replace it
However as the bike has a few years of life on it it may be that the carb is in need of refurbishment as modern fuels are hard on some of the carb seals and rubber parts
But you do need to work out how far the fuel is getting before you can go any further

Brian

As Fin said, If your sure the screen on the inlet side of petcock is clean (inside tank) and you still have no fuel with vacuum applied. The vacuum diaphragm is most likely bad and needs replaced. The other thing is that there is so much corrosion in the tank that it is plugging the screen. Let us know what you find.

Thanks Guys . I've got it narrowed down to carb. Gonna drop the float bowl tomorrow and check main jet for clog.I'll let you know how I made out. Have a great weekend, Ric

What you want to check is the float needle. Perhaps it's stuck closed. In any case, I'd replace it while you're in there and adjust the float level.

The main jet being clogged wouldn't prevent it from starting. It would exhibit driveability problems instead.

The float needle has a rubber tip that can go hard after a few years and usually fails to seal however it could stick to the seat also
Check also when doing work on the carb that the accelerator pump is working
With the air cleaner removed from the bike snap the throttle open fuel should squirt down the centre of the carb throat from the accelerator jet however if there is no fuel in the float bowl it has none to work with
with the carb still fitted remove the drain pipe from the bottom of the float bowl fit a length of clear plastic pipe and secure it to the top of the carb open the drain screw and the pipe should fill up with fuel to the level it is inside the float bowl and will give an easy reference to float bowl level

Brian

Gone in the shop this week, guess some things better left to professionals. I'll keep you posted. I removed carb and inspected,all looked good. Thanks for all your feedback. Ride safe !! Ric

Back on the road. I had the petcock replaced with new one that doesn't require a vacuum hose. Runs good , starts fast , idle is a little higher though. Thanks again for all your feed back. Hope I can return favor. Feels good to ride again!! Ric
:)

Back on the road. I had the petcock replaced with new one that doesn't require a vacuum hose. Runs good , starts fast , idle is a little higher though. Thanks again for all your feed back. Hope I can return favor. Feels good to ride again!! Ric
:)

Did THEY put a CAP Plug on the carb nipple tube to keep the Vacuum from LEAKING ? (sucking Air?)

That Nipple tube INTO the carb Needs to be capped off OR it will cause problems...

signed....BUBBIE

Back