free website stats program No Fuel Pump Sound when ignition turned on | Harley Davidson Forums

No Fuel Pump Sound when ignition turned on

GeauxTigers1

Folks, I have a 2011 FLSTC with DTC B2119, Fuel Pump Output Overload. Manual states B2119 will set if the fuel pump circuit draws more than 6 amps or when the fuel pump has been run dry. I did get down to 50 miles reserve before adding fuel. However, even then I have no fuel pump whir sound when I turn ING ON. There is sufficient fuel in the tank and I've performed the #2 Fuel Pump Test: Disconnected fuel pump at the harness; cleared the DTC; turned ING ON and the code did not reappear. However, after reconnecting the fuel pump harness, the DTC returns. Should I conclude the fuel pump needs to be replaced?

I assume the bike won't run and all the fuses are good? Did you check for any broken wires or a bad ground? If all checks out I would conclude the pump is shot.

Right, all 3 fuses are good. All other systems are good. The bike even cranks but no fuel pump noise (power). Bike just came out of Hellbender a couple months ago. Fuel filter has never been changed either and it has 26K miles.

Take the pump out of the tank, and put it on the bench. Put power on the pump + on the RED/BROWN ,and - on the BLACK connector.
If the pump will not run , it ,s stuck ,and it should be replaced , or repaired.
This is why you get the "overload"error.
Fuelpump.png

When you bench test the pump and it doesn't turn on, tap on the body with a wrench, then if it responds or doesn't toss it in the trash and install a new pump and filter.

Got it. Willing to R/R pump and filter. Question: If the pump is not getting power, how do I ensure the fuel line is purged prior to removing pump?

When the pump is out,it,s easy to remove the hose,and coupling from the tank.
I would replace them ,while your,e at it.
They wear out ,by rubbing inside of the tank.

Before you go through the work of removing the fuel pump have you checked the relay that controls the pump?
Just a thought.

When you disconnected the pump harness, cleared the code, that did not return, did you confirm power to the pump connector from the main harness, and also confirm good ground?
If power and ground were good then the pump is bad.
Replace the pump, internal fuel lines and filter.
After everything is back together, cycle the ignition on / off / on a couple times to purge the air.
Start the engine, confirm no leaks and you should be good to go.

Back