free website stats program No dash, turn or brake lights | Harley Davidson Forums

No dash, turn or brake lights

I recently bought an 05 Electra Glide Standard fuel injected. I rode it during daylight hours and it ran and handled great. It was missing the rubber boot for the trip reset button. I bought one and installed it.

Last Sunday I was changing plugs in my wifes bike when I turned and saw the glide had a cigarette lighter. I'm thinking now I have a place to charge my cell phone or plug in a GPS. I pushed the lighter in to see if it worked but it did not, no biggie right, very wrong.

The next day I started the bike to ride to work but when I got out of the garage I noticed the little red key was staying on in the dash. At the same time I also realized I did not have dash, turn signals nor brake lights.

As far as I know it does NOT have a security system. I have half a wiring diagram (service manual ordered). I have removed the lighter from the bike, but it does not show shorted with an ohm meter. I have accessed the fuse box (only two 15amp) under right side cover. Both fuses are good with ohm meter checks but I installed two new ones just to be sure.

With key switch in on position I have power on both sides of one fuse but no power on the other one. If I unplug the harness that has the trip reset button I have the same thing.

My question are. 1) did I blow a relay, if so, point me to it? 2) Is there more than one fuse box? Where is it hidden?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If forums are to slow instant message with email address.

Thanks in advance
Bob

If you pull the left side cover you'll see the maxi fuse, behind the maxi fuse is the main fuse box, you should find all your problems in there, hopefully.

Chopper, it's great to see you back. The only bad part would be that it must mean that the weather is turning cold up your way and will too soon be here. :s

Chopper, it's great to see you back. The only bad part would be that it must mean that the weather is turning cold up your way and will too soon be here. :s

There is always room for 2 more at Biketoberfest:D

Oh how I wish we could make it down! Just haven't figured out how to make it happen yet. You never know, the opportunity may present itself. :s

Don't panic Joy, the weather isn't that bad yet, I just took the weekend off and needed a HDTimeline fix :)

Chopper thanks a bunch, save a sleepless night and countless headaches.

Blow fuse, resulting from the cigarette lighter. The sade terminal where the hot wire hooks up was real lose causing a high resistance which in turn caused the fuse to blow. I tightened the terminal down tight then put a nut on top of it to make sure it stays tight. I also put a rubber 12volt plug protector on the front end.

Again thanks a bunch.

Back