free website stats program No brake lights from foot pedal | Harley Davidson Forums

No brake lights from foot pedal

BikeSAG

2007 Heritage Classic
Installed new rear brake pads. Had the cover off the brake fluid reservoir when compressing the two pistons to remove the brake pads. After the pads were installed I topped off the brake fluid and reinstalled the reservoir cover. And everything works fine except no rear brake lights when using the rear brake pedal. When using the front brakes the brake lights work fine. Could it be the switch went out at the same time the pads were changed or am I missing something.

Thanks

Possible the switch went out at the same time, but more likely that you dislodged one of the wires on the switch. Wiggle them on good. Is it possible the fluid level got low, and air got in the line?

Thanks Breeze
I don't think it is air as the reservoir wasn't low and filled up even more as the pistons were compressed. The brake pedal is firm and normal. Doesn't feel soft or go all the way down like it can with air in the system.
I'll check all the brake switch wire connections. Guess if that's not it I'll bleed the brakes for the heck of it before replacing the brake switch.

If wiggel test on the wires does't work, disconnect them and put a jumper wire in to be sure the lights work with key on.
I don't think it is air in the system and the way you did the service sould not cause a switch to fail.

Thanks Breeze
I don't think it is air as the reservoir wasn't low and filled up even more as the pistons were compressed. The brake pedal is firm and normal. Doesn't feel soft or go all the way down like it can with air in the system.
I'll check all the brake switch wire connections. Guess if that's not it I'll bleed the brakes for the heck of it before replacing the brake switch.
Always a good idea to bleed the brakes when you have been in the system, one doesn't think air can get in but it can. I use a vacuum bleeder, makes the job a snap and very inexpensive ~ $19.

With the new pads fitted, maybe you aren’t moving the brake pedal far enough to actuate the brake light switch.

Back