free website stats program No air in my air shocks....aftermarket suggestions? | Harley Davidson Forums

No air in my air shocks....aftermarket suggestions?

bobalu

Keep in mind this is my first Harley after several metrics over the past 25 years. So I'm not atune to the ownership nuances (although I admit I was very nervous about buying an HD. I got the extended warranty!).

I've only had my new 2010 Road King Classic about 6 weeks or so. I finally got the wife out on it yesterday and the suspension felt really mushy. I checked the shocks when I got back and.... 0.0 psi! I added some air (brought them up to 40 psi) and went inside. Came out an hour later and decided to check the air just to be safe. 0.0 psi! I put in 40 psi again and checked the pressure after 5 minutes. It was down to 30 psi. Goes to 0.0 in about 30 minutes. No obvious problems on visual inspection (loose air line, damaged valve etc.). FYI I have a zero leak low volume air shock pump with an accurate guage and bleed valve, used on my mountain bike shocks. I suspect that I have been riding on 0 psi since I took delivery of the bike. I now realize after getting the Service Manual that I should be checking the pressure weekly. Anyway....

I'm going to take it to the dealer and let them look at it, as I'm not interested in trouble shooting a brand new bike that should be covered under warranty.
I'm just bummed because its a new bike that has to go in for servicing already. I know, it happens. I have read on a few forums that the newer HD OEM shocks are not the highest quality, to be polite.

Anyway, my question for you guy's: Can you recommend any quality after market rear shocks for a 2010 Road King? My searches only turn up shortend shocks and lowering kits. All I want is a quality stock replacement for the existing shock. Don't care about performance or lowering, or chrome or springs/coil over etc. Can't seem to find any high quality plain old stock type units.

Try to use some soapy solution in water to spray around the fittings. Usually it is a fitting leaking.

Thanks Dr. I saw that chart and was totally confused. I now see at the bottom of the chart that "yellow" type indicates the original factory size. (I originally missed that).

Had same thing happen to my bike. The day I picked up my bike right after 5,000 mile service, shocks were bottoming out. Pumped air in them and watch needle go to zero. Tried the soap first to no avail. The long air line that went to rightside shock had dropped down and touched tire wearing an inch long hole throught it. Went up to get new hose and none in stock. They pulled one off a new Ultra and gave it to me free.

Hope you filled the shocks with the Harley or Progressive air pump.
Using a gas station air pump is too much and you can blow out the shocks.

Had same thing happen to my bike. The day I picked up my bike right after 5,000 mile service, shocks were bottoming out. Pumped air in them and watch needle go to zero. Tried the soap first to no avail. The long air line that went to rightside shock had dropped down and touched tire wearing an inch long hole throught it. Went up to get new hose and none in stock. They pulled one off a new Ultra and gave it to me free.

I'd hate to be the person that buys that Ultra!

:lolrolling

My 10 Ultra leaked down also ,at 1000 mile service they replaced the valve stem.Over 14000 miles later I'm still good.

Its frustrating a new bike has a problem. But before the expense of changing shocks let dealer repair and if this is the worst thing to happen while owning bike.....

Back