free website stats program Nitrogen In Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Nitrogen In Tires

glider.

BOT Machine
Considering the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen anyway and 21% oxygen, I think it's a bit of overkill myself JMO. I'm sure there are many that will endorse it's use in any event.
You can top off a tire with regular compressed air when running the nitrogen.
More often than not the tire will be worn out before the cost and benefit of the nitrogen use in the tire will be realized.

Here's what's advertised about it by a nitrogen equipment manufacturing company.
  • Longer tire life:
    By maintaining proper inflation pressure and minimizing tire aging, tire life improves by up to 25%
  • Eliminate chemical aging of the tire:
    As oxygen and water vapor permeate through the side wall, the rubber degrades, causing the tire to deteriorate. Nitrogen is inert, halts the chemical aging of the tire, and prolongs tire quality
  • Nitrogen is very dry (-50°F dewpoint):
    Nitrogen eliminates condensation and rim corrosion, and will allow tires to run cooler and provide a safer ride
  • Maximize safety:
    Cooler rolling temperatures minimize autoignition and catastrophic blowouts, providing a safer ride.

As I have said in another post on the racecar we always used nitrogen to keep the heat from affecting pressure as much,but I have never done it on a street vehicle.I don't see where there would be much benefit as long as you are getting clean dry air from your compressor. Too much moisture in the tire can cause problems

My ultra came with nitrogen in the tires when I bought it. I used to gain about 8 lbs. of pressure when I ran the bike hard hour after hour in hot weather. Seems now the pressure stays more consistent. I would think that would be a benefit.

Back