free website stats program Nightster won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Nightster won't start

theklanchXL1200N

Hey guys having a problem with my 07 nightster. It won't start!! Seems like there is no spark, pulled the plugs and no spark (well it was still in the sun, so I'm pretty sure there is no spark) I am hoping it isn't the V&H fuel pak going bad..... hopefully just a coil? How much is a coil? I don't have too much done to the bike, fuel pak, pipes Screamin eagle air cleaner SE plugs SE wires, had almost zero problems till now. Last night when I parked it, as I was backing her into her spot in the garage, she stalled, and started right up, like 4 or 5 times. I figured it was because it was low on fuel and the little hill leading into my garage. So I went over to the gas station, like a block from my house, I turned out of my driveway going left and as I was letting the clutch out, it almost stalled. I rolled the throttle and kept it alive..... So I went and got gas, and came home, when I rolled the throttle and shifted into 1st gear to pull into the driveway, no motor action when I rolled the throttle.... in fact it stalled and I coasted in. I started it up and went around the block a few times in second gear, running the bike pretty good, getting the RPMs up a bit, and when I came back to the house and put it on the kickstand, it stalled and hasn't started!!! Now, like I said, I pulled the plugs and i'm thinking there is no spark, I really can't see one. Where should I start on this sporty? Coil? Ign module? Fuel Pak? Like I said, seems like there is no spark. It did throw a code....P0732, motor running rich? I don't know where to begin really, it isn't an old chevy. Any help would be super appreciated... I'm supposed to be hopping on to go to a wedding rehersal dinner...... looks like I'm walking, seriously.......

Now it is throwing P0374..... CKP sensor not detected? C'mon guys, I really don't want to walk across town!!!! Nothing else to drive tonight!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the good news..... The bike started up after I pushed it into the garage.... Bad news is that the wife heard it start up, so no I have to go to the darn rehersal...... oh well..... still throwing codes.... now P0373 CKP sensor intermittent EFI....... I cleared the codes, heading to the shower to clean off the nice layer of sweat and off I hopefully go. I really hope I don't end up pushing the bike across town, walking would be better!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure does. The wedding rehersal dinner should be over by now. If we don't hear from him soon, he is pushing the bike!:p

yepper i sure wouldnt have road it with that code coming up time to get a crank sensor

Sure does. The wedding rehersal dinner should be over by now. If we don't hear from him soon, he is pushing the bike!:p

Well....... Thanks guys........ I did push the bike up the street..... but that was as far as I got. In the end, I borrowed a boost box and jumped my pickup and freakin drove up!!!! Yeah I figured it would be a bad idea to take the bike......

So what is the deal with a crank position sensor? I hear this happens frequently on sportsters. Something about 10k miles too? I dunno if this is true or not, maybe mine is another to confirm this myth? Anyway, what is involved in changing it, and how do I tell that is the problem? Any help would be super appreciated!!

Pull ti out and see if it has a lot of fuzz on it or it look damaged .. cant say for sure on sportster but on the big bikes you have 1 bolt to pull it should be up by the oil filter

Pull ti out and see if it has a lot of fuzz on it or it look damaged .. cant say for sure on sportster but on the big bikes you have 1 bolt to pull it should be up by the oil filter

Thanks Bud!!!! I just read the link that someone put on this thread for me to read... I'm guessing this has got to be the problem. How much is one of these sensors? Hopefully I don't have to take the primary cover or anything off of it to get to it, that's why honestly I turned to the forum first, best place for HD info on the web if you ask me, but anyway. I'm gonna try to get it off my mind for the evening and hopefully I have enough time in the morning to get a new sensor and change it, and while I'm at it I guess I'll change my oil too. I sure hope this is the problem, I hate throwing money at something that doesn't run just to make it run again. Hate it!!

Back