free website stats program Nice story | Harley Davidson Forums

Nice story

R_W_B

This little story in honor of Capt. Jeremy Fresques US Air Force; 1978-2005, It's a dated story (6 yrs ago now) but a great story none the less. I received this email this morning from a friend so thought I would share it. Sometimes it pays to be aware of your surroundings and what is going on in your world.

Begin story:

By the year 2005, Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that the Air Base was there long before they were. An individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

This is the complaint published in the local paper:

Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:
Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Do these Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyn’s early bird special? Any response would be appreciated.

A certain Lieutenant Colonel at Luke AFB sent in this response:

Regarding ’A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m. , a four-ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, 2005 Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, ’Whom do we thank for the morning air show'? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces in history have offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom.

End story:

Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did, RWB

Thanks - great story!

It's all too easy to get wrapped up in OUR lives and OUR little problems and annoyances and not be aware of the awesome sacrifices being made by men and women in all kinds of uniforms on a daily basis.

Thanks for the story. I (and I am sure many others) thank these Airmen for their service and honoring of a fellow comrade. Thanks again to the family for their sacrifice also.

Last edited:
WOW!! Great story Dave. It sure brought a tear to my eye. I am amased as to how people can take for granted their freedom. What would happen if the soldiers all decided to quit? How fast their stories would change. I am begining to question my Son risking his live right at this moment serving his Country in Iraq. He like so many others have completed multible tours in harms way and this act is the payment and respect these soldiers receive. I am ashamed for these poor souls that it appears that they feel better than those that do make the ultimate sacrifce. As a christian I will pray for them, as a veteran I will just say you are welcome. God Bless you Captain Jeremy Fresques. I thank thee for thy sacrifice and pray that our Father welcome you into the Heavens and bless your family for all they have endured.

And to his credit U.S.Navy,Vietnam Vet, Mr. Tom MacRae apologized in another letter about his mistaken complaint.
wilks3
:USA

Yes I just got back on tonight, but I see many of you knew already heard about this back went. I posted it on another forum and I want to add the corrections and addtions that were posted in response there just for clarity. But none the less a very sobering occurance to make us all think.

----Begin corrections and additions,
There were actually two separate officers that responded to the complaint. Their names were, Col. Robin Rand AFB's 56th Fighter Wing and Lt. Col. Scott Pleus CO 63rd Fighter Squadron Luke Air Force Base
---------------------------------------
It was also pointed out to me that the following was not part of the neither Colonel's response.

"Only 2 defining forces in history have offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom."
-------------------------------------
This must have been added by the person who forwarded to me (or the one who forwarded it to him ) (or....... ) (or........etc) But if the Colonel did not say it then it should have been clarified.

The person who wrote the complaining article to the paper did in fact write a apologetic response. He was in the Navy and a Vietnam vet. His response letter can be read at the end of the article found at this link.

(make sure to close the couple of add pops you get with Snopes)
snopes.com: Luke Air Force Base Fly-By
--------End of corrections----------

RWB again
I'll bet that guy thinks twice before he writes the paper again. I can see where he made an unfortunate mistake on that one. I can't picture myself ever writing a paper over Jet noise. But I can imagine him being a Vet that when he found out his error it must have felt like a knife through his heart.

Thanks Dave, I enjoyed that. :) I live near a major Air Force base and a kind of between a few small airports. I often hear jets, helicopters and even a few large planes overhead. I love it, I run outside to see what is out and about. If I ever see anything in a formation, I can only hope they are practicing, but I can't help but wonder if there is something happening somewhere, be it good or bad. (For the record, we knew all of these airports existed in the area :s)

We have become a target for the local balloonists, they claim that our house is 'good practice' for them to try to work in on since there are a couple of cell towers they can see from a distance, and we have the only red roof in the area. Our lab has a distinct 'balloon bark', when we hear that tone, we know that Rocky is saving us from the big bad balloon. (He's good, no balloon has got us yet. LOL) I can't help but go out and check to see who is out that day. :D

My favorite is when I hear that distinct sound of the radial engine winding up. There are a few really good aerobatic pilots that practice near our house so I again have to stop what I'm doing and run to the back porch for my free air show. :D

I do understand how someone could be 'upset' by being startled by the jets however. If you are not expecting them, the noise after they pass can make you jump out of your skin, or off the lawn mower in my case, and that was with ear plugs. :s I'm glad the original letter writer responded with an apology, this should teach us to think before we spout off.

Wow Joy, I'll bet some of those balloons are fun to watch because they fly low. When I first me my wife (back 1979) she lived right on the end of a small commercial airport in Lakeland. But it also is where this yearly event called the Sun & Fun Flyin is held. We used to sit on her front porch and watch the whole show. They have ever conceivable type of aircraft there from experimental to old WWII Bombers.

The Navy Blue Angels usually do a few shows there and they are really fantastic to watch and really loud. They fly over some of the main roads in town about a mile west of the strip doing their turnarounds and they are literally only about 250 feet off the ground. It's a ground shaker when they come to town.

Hope you are ridin safe and not jumping stuff with those dirt bikes of yours. Labs are beautiful dogs. I've met some that were not too friendly. Our neighbor has a type of Lab (she is built a little thinner than most labs I've seen) and she is friendly to us but when visiters come to our place I'm glad there is a chain link fence there because Daisy can get pretty ferocious around strangers. Later............RWB (Dave)

This little story in honor of Capt. Jeremy Fresques US Air Force; 1978-2005, It's a dated story (6 yrs ago now) but a great story none the less. I received this email this morning from a friend so thought I would share it. Sometimes it pays to be aware of your surroundings and what is going on in your world.

Begin story:

By the year 2005, Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that the Air Base was there long before they were. An individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

This is the complaint published in the local paper:

Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:
Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Do these Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyn’s early bird special? Any response would be appreciated.

A certain Lieutenant Colonel at Luke AFB sent in this response:

Regarding ’A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m. , a four-ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, 2005 Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, ’Whom do we thank for the morning air show'? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces in history have offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom.

End story:

Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did, RWB

I am sorry, if it is to old to Post.. I post this in Honor of this Thread/ Post. It is the most honorable Story I have heard in some time. It is Old. But We can remember our serviceman every day. This reviving of a old thread, Could not be a better one to celebrate. Fantastic contribution I thank you and all other servicemen for there contribution to the constitution.

Back