free website stats program Newbie's question about engine temperature. | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie's question about engine temperature.

mango777

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie from Taiwan. I just bought a 2007 883R and put on a nice Dakota Digital odometer. It has a function that shows the engine temperature.
The default warning setup is at 330F. It comes up every time I ride my bike so I changed the setup to 370F. But it still comes up when I ride for a longer distance or harder. The maximum temperature recorded is around 380F. Is it too high? Today I measured the oil temperature when the engine temperature was at 320F, and it came out 104F. What a big gap! Is this normal?

I noticed the oil change my friend did for me last time used only 2.5L. The manual says the capacity of the oil tank is 3.4L. Could this be the cause? The oil stick says normal (right in the middle) with the 2.5L of oil. should I add more?

Thanks for the answer in advance!

I just did a quick search, and found that the engine temp. sensor on '07 XL's were prone to fail. You may want to have the sensor checked. At least recheck your connectors.

I used a infrared thermometer to double check today and the the temperatures on both side were fairly close.

Both sides of what? Are you measuring head temp?

As far as your oil change goes, put in 1/2 quart less than the manual calls for, run to operating temp, and recheck oil level. You will have left over oil in the crank case that will not drain, this could cause an over fill situation if you put in 3 quarts

Both sides of temp. I compared the temps of head temp measured by my infrared thermometer and the stock head thermometer reading. They are within 3 degrees F. Therefore, the stock sensor should be fine.

About the oil change, my friend added 2L of oil first, warm up the engine, add another 0.5L, check the stick and it is in the middle. That's a total 2.5L of oil which is still almost 1L less than what the manual says. Maybe the left over oil in the crank case is about 1L?!

Both sides of temp. I compared the temps of head temp measured by my infrared thermometer and the stock head thermometer reading. They are within 3 degrees F. Therefore, the stock sensor should be fine.

About the oil change, my friend added 2L of oil first, warm up the engine, add another 0.5L, check the stick and it is in the middle. That's a total 2.5L of oil which is still almost 1L less than what the manual says. Maybe the left over oil in the crank case is about 1L?!

Unless you do a "complete" oil change that flushes out the "old" oil there will be about 18-24 ounces of "old" oil remaining in the crankcasd, passages, oil pump and cam chest that doesn't drain out.

Back