free website stats program New V&H exhaust pipes -> fuel inj. calibration necessary ? | Harley Davidson Forums

New V&H exhaust pipes -> fuel inj. calibration necessary ?

Joe Schmack

Account Removed
Hi,

my 2009 Road King has new Vance & Hines Oval Slip Ons.
The intake is unchanged.

Is there a need to calibrate the fuel injection anyway ?
Or can I make my decision after some hundred miles depending on the spark plug (too white -> calibrate, brown/grey -> ok) ?
What are your experiences ?

Cheers,
JoeSchmack

Hi,

my 2009 Road King has new Vance & Hines Oval Slip Ons.
The intake is unchanged.

Is there a need to calibrate the fuel injection anyway ?
Or can I make my decision after some hundred miles depending on the spark plug (too white -> calibrate, brown/grey -> ok) ?
What are your experiences ?
Cheers,
JoeSchmack

IS IS SAID by HARLEY TECHS:
IF you ONLY do ONE or the OTHER.... EXHAUST or AIR... YOUR 09 SHOULD adjust it's self to take care of the situation....

IF your bike ran good before the change of exhaust and STILL AFTER and i repeat AFTER such a change (exhaust OR air) it is OK..

I would strongly suggest to go with a FULL STAGE ONE ....

by that,,,, YOU HAVE TO change AIR to a scream'n eagle or other brands out there... for better breathing....

THEN NEEDED SUGGESTION is a TFI from dobeck.... A FUEL MANAGEMENT TUNER with the air and exhaust improvements, you will REALLY HAVE YOUR BIKE RUNNING AT ITS TOP PERFORMANCE and the air unit @100$ and the tuner TFI@ 255$$ a very well worth it..

FULL STAGE ONE on my bike= V&H slip-ons. scrm'n e. air,TFI dobecks

DOING THIS ON MY 09 FLHR... I NOTICED a HUGH IMPROVEMENT in POWER,,,, *** "THE KIND I FELT IN THE SEAT OF MY PANTS!" (my quote)

With the PROPER FUEL MIXTURE that the TFI affords AND after the exhaust and air MODS. i noticed it ran BETTER FASTER COOLER and made me SMILE even when I think about it....

HARLEYS RUN LEAN too LEAN and even with a computer upgrade in fuel management from HD it will STILL RUN TOO LEAN....

YOU can buy a 500$$ tuner from HD and pay another 4 hours of dyno time and get it tuned properly(MAYBE) or go with a TFI, that is highly talked and recommended on this site... and have a SWEET RIDE.. :)

signed....BUBBIE

JUST a SUGGESTION that MANY HERE have done with the SAME RESULTS......

Bubbie, don't want to be contradictory, the new systems will forgive back pressure from ex. but opening up the air cleaner adds more air less fuel to the engine, creates a lead running condition. I would take what those tech's tell you with a grain of salt, also take a little salt with my comments too, please. I do agree with you thought, go the full stage 1, might as well get a little more power to go with the sound:)

These new bikes are running way too lean at factory stock. Everyone should know by now how the EPA reg's have stretched the air cooled v twins tuning to the max. If one pays 20k plus on a bike and another 500+ dollars on exhaust why would anyone not take the opportunity to also add some air and an ecm download or a tuner and take the advantage to gain a few HP's. In my opinion a tuner is the only way to go so one can also add a bit of fuel also. If one doesn't care about his or her bike and your looking to get some cheep sound, drill some holes in your stock exhaust and save some money. Do a search. This topic has been explained many times. Do it right or leave it alone.

Joe,

I agree w/ these guys, do the full stage 1 and be done with it. Intake, exhaust and whatever tuner/download you decide on.

Back