free website stats program New to this forum, but not motorcycles | Harley Davidson Forums

New to this forum, but not motorcycles

Plasmaman

Banned
While I got a Cushman Scooter when I was 13 ($50), I also came by a Harley that year. In those days (I'm 82 now), the carnivals had big board lined drums about 30 or 40 ft or so in diameter that motorcycles raced around, rising all the way to the top out of centrifugal force. The feature was called "The Wall of Death." One day I was exploring the woods behind the area a carnival had been a few days before. I came upon an old Harley board track racer that had been abandoned back there probably due to a thrown rod or something. I pushed it a half mile home and put it in my basement which fortunately had an outside entrance. During the next month or so I started taking it apart out of curiosity. The years have faded how far I got, or what I ended up doing with it. It was a memorable experience though.

Since that time I have owned everything from a 250cc Indian Brave (flathead) to a Vincent Black Shadow - probably thirty or more, including a half dozen Harleys. Lately, I've been keeping my hand in the hobby by cutting out 19" motorcycle replicas on my homemade CNC plasma cutter.

Unfortunately, I have no photos of my first Harley, but here is a 1952 photo of me on my Cushman:

Cushman circa 1952.jpg

Welcome. My Buddy had the same Cushman as you did. We were able to get "restricted" licenses at age 14 in Florida. It allowed us to ride bikes with less than 5 hp. I had a Eagle that was worn down to sparrow power by time I got hold of it. We had many adventures in the mid '50s with these trashed-out scooters. Nice story about finding the discarded Harley. I attended many Wall of Death performances and was always amazed that the bikes they had would even run. I'm lots younger than you @ 77,

Anyone care to comment on why Plasmaman avatar says he is banned. It's his first post. Hopefully it's just a mistake.
Cool old Cushy, Welcome aboard.

Welcome, Plasaman was probaly banned for admitting he sold a Vincent Black Shadow, or the Hawaiian shirt in the picture. LOL Seriously, great picture.

Back