free website stats program New To the Forum | Harley Davidson Forums

New To the Forum

Itaewon

Howdy,

Hailing from San Antonio TX. I just upgraded from a 2004 Fatboy to a 2009 Road King Classic. It has taken a while to get used to the extra 100 pounds, but I've managed fine. I'm at 585 miles now and never taken it over 60 and veried the speeds in between. 1st service is due at 1000 and I'm doing the stage 1, with a new fuel pack and Bassani fishtails. My real question is whether to run synthetic. One maintenace department mechanic tells me I should put 16,000 on the bike before switching to synthetic, but another from another dealer tells me on the first oil change at 1000 it doesn't matter and is better for the motor in this hot Texas summer heat. I'm looking for some experienced opinions. On a side note, I love my new bike, and the next step will be a Corbin or Mustang custom seat. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 26
Howdy,

I'm fairly new to the forum myself but have been reading for about a year now. Everything I have read suggests you can go to synthetic at any time. Also there are a lot of good posts on that subject if you look around. Try the the self help and information tips section. A lot of good reading on what kind of oils to put in also. Good luck and welcome.

Howdy,

Hailing from San Antonio TX. I just upgraded from a 2004 Fatboy to a 2009 Road King Classic. It has taken a while to get used to the extra 100 pounds, but I've managed fine. I'm at 585 miles now and never taken it over 60 and veried the speeds in between. 1st service is due at 1000 and I'm doing the stage 1, with a new fuel pack and Bassani fishtails. My real question is whether to run synthetic. One maintenace department mechanic tells me I should put 16,000 on the bike before switching to synthetic, but another from another dealer tells me on the first oil change at 1000 it doesn't matter and is better for the motor in this hot Texas summer heat. I'm looking for some experienced opinions. On a side note, I love my new bike, and the next step will be a Corbin or Mustang custom seat. Any insight is appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of good info in the Self-help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

When you can't be out riding, here is something to pass the time:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Synthetic Oils In New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

Engine Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community
Primary Lube Poll - Harley Davidson Community
Trans Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community
Oil Filter Poll - Harley Davidson Community

On the fueler issue, see here:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

Have fun!!

TQ

Another question. I wanted something different. I was close to choosing Vance & Hine, but one of my sales folks convinced me to purchase Bassani pipes. Any insght on those? I chose the fishtails.

Welcome to the forum! I have copied a post origanally posted by Glider,I hope it helps

This is a very good way to seat the rings on a new motor so they seat fully all around the bore. It forces the rings out on accel and decel (both top and bottom in the piston grooves) so they seat completely to the cylinder and not just in the high spots when running it easy during break in.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accel from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again . Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Then enjoy it.

I change the first oil change at 100 miles with a filter, then again at 1000. From there I go at 2500 miles with a filter along with the primary and trans. It's overkill but that's the way I like to do things. You can do the trans and primaty every 5000 too if you want to with no problems.

As far as oil, that also is in the tech section for the looking.

Another question. I wanted something different. I was close to choosing Vance & Hine, but one of my sales folks convinced me to purchase Bassani pipes. Any insght on those? I chose the fishtails.

I don't have any personal experience with them, so I am not qualified to comment. But have a flick through here and see what you can find:

Harley Davidson Exhaust Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

Bassani Exhaust on Harley Bagger - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Welcome to the forum! I have copied a post origanally posted by Glider,I hope it helps

This is a very good way to seat the rings on a new motor so they seat fully all around the bore. It forces the rings out on accel and decel (both top and bottom in the piston grooves) so they seat completely to the cylinder and not just in the high spots when running it easy during break in.

Find a road where there is no traffic and get it up to third gear. Accel from 30-60 using a substantial amount of throttle (around 3/4 + ) and coast back down to 30 again . Do this 10 times and your rings are seated. Keep speed to a reasonable limit and vary it on the parkways with no lugging and no high RPM's. Then enjoy it.

I change the first oil change at 100 miles with a filter, then again at 1000. From there I go at 2500 miles with a filter along with the primary and trans. It's overkill but that's the way I like to do things. You can do the trans and primaty every 5000 too if you want to with no problems.

As far as oil, that also is in the tech section for the looking.

I did this break in routine on my Sporty after 100 miles (didn't see the post early enough). Even tho' it was "too late" - the first 20 miles is when you should do it before you get more wearing of the rings - it still made a noticable improvement in how the engine feels and performs. JMO :D:D but I'd recommend the technique.

Welcome to the forum, it is a real www home to those who love to ride and to share knowledge and experiemces about their bikes.

Congrats on the New Bike, The recommended break in is for the first 500 miles, now that you are there you can run it past 60 Mph. I did My First Service Myself at 1000 Miles, I went with Synthetic Oil/Fluids.

Back