free website stats program new to softtails | Harley Davidson Forums

new to softtails

dozerman

feeling mighty stupid. Got me a 2003 Heritage Softtail Anniversary Edition about 2500 miles ago. Been taking care of my 05 Sporty and know it like the back of my hand now. Haven't aquired a manuel for the Heritage yet and went to change the oil but oops drained the tranny by accident. That is ok too because don't mind changing that fluid also. Problem is I don't know where to add new fluid. Also don't know what kind of fluid was used before. Any problems there?

Go to the Home section and look under Oil related tips. Different options and what you decide is up to you. I run:

Engine....Mobile 1 20/50 for motorcyles

Tranny....Mobile 75/90 gear oil

Primary....HD Formula+

Harley Davidson Forums

If you're talking about your tranny fill then there is a Large allen just above where the clutch cable enters the chrome cover on the right side of the tranny. Being it is a 5 speed you only put in approx. 22 oz.. You check your level with the bike upright/level and just sit the allen in the hole,don't screw in. The allen has a dip stick on it.
tourbox

Appreciate the reply guys. Good info there tourbox. Gonna take a trip to California and want to start on new fluids

Go to the Home section and look under Oil related tips. Different options and what you decide is up to you. I run:

Engine....Mobile 1 20/50 for motorcyles

Tranny....Mobile 75/90 gear oil

Primary....HD Formula+

Harley Davidson Forums

I am also new to softail's, do most people use synthetic oil in these bikes, my road king I did. The bike I bought was used and the dealer could not tell me what was used in it.

I am also new to softail's, do most people use synthetic oil in these bikes, my road king I did. The bike I bought was used and the dealer could not tell me what was used in it.

It's a matter of preference for most I guess. I only run synthetic in my bikes. But, It's almost like asking someone what beer they prefer. You're going to get a host of opinions and replies :s

For me...

Redline 20/50 in engine
Redline MTL (yellow bottle) in the primary
Redline Heavy ShockProof in the tranny.

I am very happy with that so I am staying with that! :bigsmiley12:

I learned the value of certain synthetics when I was running a twin turbo car that was known for blowing transfer cases and syncros, not to mention running exceptionally hot during the warm months. synthetics made a world of difference for me then, and I stick by them in everything I drive/ride with great success.

Amsoil 20/50 in motor/Amsoil Filter
Redline MTL in primary
Redline Shockproof heavy in trans.
(side note: I use the "scavenger" to remove ALL the old oil from the engine when I do my oil changes):newsmile107:

Back