free website stats program New (to me) Electra Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

New (to me) Electra Glide

daven

I have been riding a HD Dyna Super Glide since 2009. This past November, I bought a 2011 Electra Glide. The difference in size and weight is marked. I love the new bike, but acclimating myself to it is hard, especially since I can't ride regularly because of the time of year. I'm looking forward to warm weather. In the meantime, any tips regarding maneuvering the big bike would be appreciated. Did you make the switch from a Sportster or Dyna to a tourer? Please share what you did to help with the transition. Also, what mistakes did you make that I should avoid?

Congratulations. I went from a 96 fatboy to an 05 electraglide standard 3 years ago and it is a lot different. I could ride the Fatboy like a bicycle. I had to get use to the heavier frontend especially at stops and slow speeds. I am 5'11 and 205 lbs and I almost dumped it a couple of times.

My best advice is do what I did,,,, watch the Ride Like a Pro video multiple times and go practice in a parking lot. Take your bags off, go to lowes and buy split foam pipe insulation and wrap your engine guard down low and bag rails with that and duct tape. If you drop it, no harm done, trust me, wrap them.

Slow speed maneuvers is the big difference in big bikes. I was lucky enough to live within a quarter mile of a community college with the MSF course laid out on a back parking lot. I would go on weekends with a buddy and practice for 20 minutes and take a run down the road to cool off the engine and clutch. In not time you will be doing figure 8's in the box and your confidence level will go up. I had been riding 40years years ( since I was 7)
and Harleys since my twenties. Watch the lessons and practice. I learned so much and you will tooo.... Good Luck and be safe

:good
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa.

Learn to drag rear brake slightly while turning slowly in parking lots, driveway, etc. Do not apply front brake while stopping with bars turned.
Once you get used to your new steed you will handle it as well if not better than the old steed. Just remember saddle time will definitely increase and you will not want to stop riding the Glide.........:s

Enjoy:
Portsmouth Police Motorcycle Rodeo - YouTube
Police Driving Test, Master Of Motorcycle! - YouTube

Welcome to the forum and to the bagger world. All good advice, practice in a large parking lot is key to learning how to handle these beasts. Good luck.

Welcome to The Forum
Outside of the weight the bagger has over center steering to make it easier, practice in a parking lot with slow tight turns to balance the extra weight. I rode baggers, switched to Dynas, now i am on a trike Talk about a change:p

Thanks to all. Good suggestions. I have seen the videos advertised in a magazine I read regularly, and should buy them. I have already learned that I will pay for the sin of turning my forks sharply and using the front brake. Now I keep them as much in alignment with the frame as possible, until I'm off and running. Nice to meet you all.

Back