free website stats program New to HD and this site. | Harley Davidson Forums

New to HD and this site.

Dave Rouse

I raced flat track and MX. Had a few road bikes but its been 40 years. Took the HD 4 day class. Just got a 2013 Road King that scared me. I'm riding a bit daily to get more comfortable. We rode HD 500s in class. They're like sports cars compared to my Road King. Still, I'm riding daily. In mall lots and country roads. The stops still have me worried. I was told to set your left foot down. I want to drag both. Working on it. Any be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here! Keep riding a bit every chance, take your time with it. You will get more used to the weight and handling of the bike over time. ;)

Welcome and congrats on the new ride, I would recommend to take your time to get to know the bike, work on slow speed turns, quick stops, watch for sand and tar snakes. And make a habit of looking in your mirrors often and I also scan left to right allot while on the streets.

Welcome from Georgia. One thing to always be aware of when stopping,,,,,,, watch out for small sticks / twigs and small rocks. They will make your foot slide if you plant your foot on top of one.

Welcome from Wisconsin. If You drag Your feet,You can get one caught between ground an passenger footboard. You will no longer drag Your feet. Practice will have You putting left foot down.

Welcome to the forum from Suwannee and welcome to the world of Harley. The course you took gave you the basics and as was said before practice will bring confidence. I know shifting to first and placing your left foot down is the prescribed way but while you're getting use to the weight and balance of a bigger bike if you're more comfortable with both feet down do it. Ride safe and try to remember all the riding tips you got in the course.

Back