free website stats program New Tank, does it need to be sealed? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Tank, does it need to be sealed?

NYHarley

Ok here is my dilemma. When I bought my 07 Night Train the seller included a whole extra set of tins. My question is does the tank need to be sealed? I have seen the harley article about some of the tanks not needing to me epoxy sealed, but I don't know if this tank is that kind. And to top it off the tank is painted which is going to be tough to do without messing up the paint..... What do you guys think?

DSC_1497.jpg

DSC_1495.jpg

DSC_1493.jpg

DSC_1494.jpg

I can't tell by the pictures but is it a stock OEM tank? If so then it has a corrosion resistant coating in it. If it is any thing but stock Harley then I would recomend getting it sealed.

I have to agree with what he said!!!!!!!!!:rider

It is a OEM Harley tank. It has a black coating on the inside of the tank. I am going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I have the HD article abouth the new tanks that don't need epoxy sealant, just hope thus is one of them.
WAP.gif

NYHarley, I believe you are correct, I seem to recall that in 2005 HD changed the composition of the metal used in the tanks to higher nickel content, making the steel more corrosion resistant and discontinued using the infamous epoxy liner. Tried finding the thread, but with no success...so check with the dealer.

Back