free website stats program NEW Road Glide Wind Deflector Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

NEW Road Glide Wind Deflector Kit

ironmark

Looking @ the 2011 HD parts & accessories catalog & I came across this new item on page 343 , the HD part # 57000063 @ a cost of $29.95 . It states that this part is for 09 & later FLTR & FLTRU models and come stock on the 2011 CVO Road Glide . It looks like this part snaps on the fork tube & the engine guard or frame , so why would this part not fit on the earlier FLTR models , did the MOCO change the distance between the fork tube & the engine guard or frame in the 09 & later models ?

Last edited:
They mount on the engine guard and fit over the gas tank forward/top bolt flange. I have an '05 RG with an aftermarket engine guard. I bought a set and had to remove about 1/8" from the shield where it goes over the bolt flange. They fit fine but I didn't see much reduction, if any, in the air that comes up from the underside of the gas tank. I did see a little 10* rise in engine temp. They now sit on the shelf of PTDW.

I have a set on my 99 FLTRI, after the quick install, I took it up on the frwy and it was early Sunday morning so no traffic. About 75 mph I started noticing a new down force on the top of the helmet ! The faster I went, greater the down force. I was impressed that it did something. It seems to redirect the air coming from under the faring that normally is in you face.

What I'm hearing is that they fit and don't fit based on some years, options, add-ons, etc.. that you may have. Like my 09 RG with the tank recall and HD non-vented lowers I'd have to replace the tank bolts add some nylon spacers so they snap in and then trim the lower part of the deflector to fit on the crash bar due to my lowers.

It's not alot of money, but more time that I'm willing to invest right now since I'm very happy with my lower/windshield/seat combo that is working great for me.

Ride safe and have fun.

This wind deflector in a new product for HD & it states that it is a snap-fit so I take it that it does not bolt on . I am just courious as to why the wind deflectors are for the 09 and later models , is there a change somewhere in the front of the bike in 09 .

I just put a set of these on my 04 glide.
They fit fine. If I remember correctly the box states it will fit 98 up. They do just snap on the crash bar.
I also noticed a difference in the amount of wind reduction.
Not a lot but enough that you will notice an improvement.
I would recommend them for no more than they cost.

This wind deflector in a new product for HD & it states that it is a snap-fit so I take it that it does not bolt on . I am just courious as to why the wind deflectors are for the 09 and later models , is there a change somewhere in the front of the bike in 09 .

I agree the design is a "snap-on", but with the tank recall done on some 09's, they do not snap on. you have to replace the tank bolts, add some nylon spacers so the top portion snaps on. There is a post on this site about the process, but can not locate it now.

Also, the bottom snaps onto the crash bar, but doesn't with HD non-vented lowers. Only way for it to snap on the crash bar is to trim the deflector where it hits the top portion of the lowers.

Either way, I think some folks find it they work good, others so-so and other put them back in the package and on the shelf.

Ride safe and have fun.

I have the non vented lowers and they did not come close to them..Mine are the older lowers if that makes any difference.

I took my bike down to the dealer that had some in stock & they did not fit my 08 , the 2011 book states for 09 & later and the reason is the that the 09 has more distance between the engine guard and the fairing then in 08 & earlier models , from what I seen the difference was around 1 inch .

I'm new to the community and just bought a 2011 FLTRU. I can't say anything about reported increase in engine temperature. I will say that there is noticeably less buffeting and agree that the deflectors are worth the price. My line of sight is about an inch below the top edge of the stock windshield and I'm planning on cutting the shield by about three inches and installing a "Laminar Lip" for the ability to look over the shield and still have the wind protection. Right now the turbulent air is just over the top of my Nolan 102 helmet.

Back