free website stats program New rider just got my first bike | Harley Davidson Forums

New rider just got my first bike

Spicoli1442

Hi All,

My name is Andrew I am from Indianapolis Indiana and i just got a 2005 sportster 1200 custom. I have taken it out a few times already and am still getting used to driving a bike. Any tips or anything for a beginner rider would be much appreciated. Thanks

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Hi All,

My name is Andrew I am from Indianapolis Indiana and i just got a 2005 sportster 1200 custom. I have taken it out a few times already and am still getting used to driving a bike. Any tips or anything for a beginner rider would be much appreciated. Thanks

welcome.they are top heavy,try not to drop it.:D

Welcome to The Forum, an advanced riding course may help:s

Great move for your first bike. I had an 883 and if it had been 1200 I would have kept it and just bought another one.

Tip 1) Read the forums and you will learn, learn, learn. Then read them some more.

Tip 2) When you think you are getting the hang of it, you are ripe for an accident.

Tip 3) Ride the the cagers have a lazer sight trained on you.

Tip 4) Leave plenty of room in front of you for the unexpected. No, leave more room than that.

Tip 5) Watch what is under your feet. Gravel, dirt, etc. I bet a lot more bikes have been dumped in the parking lot than on the road.

Tip 6) Ride within your limits. Don't be afraid, be prepared.

Awesome!!! Stay focused, don't let yourself get too tired before taking a break, stay hydrated, and don't try to learn it all in one day. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, Andrew. I live about 70 miles north of Indy. Maybe I'll see you on the road sometime. If you have not already done it, get signed up for the ABATE/MSF Beginner Rider Course. I have over 35 years on two wheels and still found things of value in it when I took the course with my daughter last year. Buy the best protective gear (helmet, jacket, boots, etc...) you can afford, and wear it every time you get on the bike...and congratulations on the new bike.

SOME I like to add....

LEARN to use the brakes properly... I use the front a lot heavier than the rear...

My duel front brakes are Great for stopping when using the rears to Balance out... using the rears for total stopping by themselves is a No No :small3d023:

Many good to GREAT suggestions here...:bigsmiley6:

LOOK and LOOK again...:rofl You'll never out-grow the need to LOOK..

When you are fueling the bike Never, I SAY NEVER look away and or talk to others...Never mind that pretty girl she will be there After tank is filled...

Don't ask me how I know Some of these things please...:small3d023:

signed....BUBBIE

OH Yes....... WELCOME

Back