free website stats program New pipes out of alignment | Harley Davidson Forums

New pipes out of alignment

glenalt

I got the correct crossover pipe from Samson yesterday and installed the left side dual fishtail. Fit like a glove. The Misses came into the shop and I fired it up for her. She raised her eye brows and said it's loud, do I have to listen to that while we ride? I told her the sound would be behind her, ha ha. Man does it sound good.

I took it out for a spin and WOW, it's got some great throttle response and sounds like a Harley should, deep and throaty. I have the TFI, SE AF with the True Duals from Samson. I'll tweak the TFI on Thursday it seems to be a little rich because I can smell it when it idles more than before but I need to run it for awhile to see what kind of mileage it's getting and check the plugs.

Now for the problem. The left side pipe sits over an inch lower than the one on the right. The mounting bracket bolted right on with no issues and the fishtail mounted to it with no problems. Neither has any adjustment. So what could be the problem and solution. It looks a little weird from the rear. I could show some pics if needed but it was dark last night.

Have you tried loosening all the connections and raising the left and lowering the right just a tad? I know you said they're not adjustable but it wouldn't take much movement at a connection to make a difference at the end of the pipe.

If that doesn't work, I'd take rick's advice and call Samson.

Have you tried loosening all the connections and raising the left and lowering the right just a tad? I know you said they're not adjustable but it wouldn't take much movement at a connection to make a difference at the end of the pipe.

If that doesn't work, I'd take rick's advice and call Samson.

I did call Samson today and they wanted me to do just what you suggested. I came home today and adjusted them and did get an inch. I measured them and now there is one inch difference. I'm going to call them back for some other suggestions.

I'm not familure with that exhaust but could it be possable that you might have the right side bracket on the left and the left side bracket on the right it's just a thaught.
Good luck,
Dave

Is there a missing spacer, or is the Samson mount improperly installed/welded? I'm sure they QC their products, but one might slip through the cracks...;)

I'm not familure with that exhaust but could it be possable that you might have the right side bracket on the left and the left side bracket on the right it's just a thaught.
Good luck,
Dave

There is no way to reverse them. I'm going to take the brackets off and use my dremel to extend the holes where the bolts go and get some more from each side. It should work. I might give samson a call to see if they have any other solution. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the responses.

I just got off the phone with Kenny at Samson and he said to slot the mounting hole to cheat enough to align them. Will do that sometime later. I'm going to ride for the next 3 days as it's going to be in the high 70's to 83 on Saturday.

IMO Samson is a bad cheap product, I had a pair of true duals on my street glde and they cracked a hole in them after 5,000 miles.
Very thin material probably made in China.
WAP.gif

Back