free website stats program New Owner of a 96 flhtcu....questions | Harley Davidson Forums

New Owner of a 96 flhtcu....questions

as a new owner of a harley (first timer),i have just bought this bike,and will pick it up this saturday...anything i need to know about owning this..friendly
tips..any insite would be very helpful......

thanks again!!!
kurt

Did you buy it from a dealer or private? How long since it's last service?

You've already taken the most important first step - becoming a member of this outstanding community and not being timid about asking questions.

If you're planning on doing any work on the bike yourself, I'd try to get a hold of the actual HD Service Manual for your bike.

Other than getting some top notch fluids in all 3 holes, I'd go over everything with a fine tooth comb checking all fasteners, bolts, etc and make sure all the lights and accessories are all working as they should.

Then I'd just ride it and enjoy it - if you listen close and try to really stay "connected" to your new baby, it'll tell you when it needs anything.

By 1996 HD was churning out some very strong and reliable Evo's. If the previous owner(s) paid attention to service and repairs, you should enjoy the bike. I recommend starting with local rides, expanding your distance as you get to know the bike and it's reliability. If not included with the sale, an owners and a service manual are $$ very well spent.

yes i bought it from a dealer,and it was serviced and waxed and full of fuel for me...
ready to ride....

thanks!!! are the service manuals on this web site ok to purchase for down loads vs
anthing else?

hey berrze3at,
is their any maintance on the motor (top end) or on the motor i need to address?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey berrze3at,
is their any maintance on the motor (top end) or on the motor i need to address?:)

No chronic maint. issues with newer Evo top ends. Some get minor rocker box oil leaks, some get minor base gasket leaks. Nothing to worry about unless they get drippy. I've been using 75/140 synthetic in my '92 Dyna trans for a very long time.

On my 97 FXDS, I had a problem show up after I tore it down for a rebuild. The rocker box top unit cracked and I did replace Both with Said to be better made units.... The problem was too thin of aluminum on the spacer unit on top of the head and some cracked..

I think mine hit the floor and not under torque. Hey that was 14 (13 after rebuild) years ago...

Really a Nice bike..

I used Redline Shockproof in tranny and MTL in the primary back then. I found that the Tranny shifted better and the clutch worked for Many miles...... 20/50 Redline in the engine..

signed....BUBBIE

Back