free website stats program new noise | Harley Davidson Forums

new noise

saintNH

My 01 Fatboy with 18k has recently started making a rapping sound when I start it. It has happened maybe the last half dozen times I've started it. It will make this rapping sound 4 or 5 times right when it starts then quiet right down. And if I shut it off and wait a few minutes it will not do it. My guess is lifters bleeding off? Any opinions? And will this hurt anything if it is? I would prefer to fix it before it causes any bigger issues. Thanks.
WAP.gif

My 01 Fatboy with 18k has recently started making a rapping sound when I start it. It has happened maybe the last half dozen times I've started it. It will make this rapping sound 4 or 5 times right when it starts then quiet right down. And if I shut it off and wait a few minutes it will not do it. My guess is lifters bleeding off? Any opinions? And will this hurt anything if it is? I would prefer to fix it before it causes any bigger issues. Thanks.
WAP.gif

TC 88, could be cam chains, comp sprocket (LOOSE) bolt clutch hub or even lifters, may even be loose motor mounts

Can anyone tell me what size socket the compensator nut is? I think I'm going to pull the primarily cover and check that because I'm sure its probably never been checked. It hasn't since I've owned it.
WAP.gif

I think the socket size is 1 1/2 " for the compensator, I had the rapping sound when I first got my springer and I re torqued the nut and it stopped. hope yours does to.

Thanks traveller. I am not going to be able to dig unto this until next weekend, but I will post what u
I find. And if that's not it, at least I will know that is fine.
WAP.gif

Back