free website stats program New Myrtle Beach Laws | Harley Davidson Forums

New Myrtle Beach Laws

PetieJ

Well I just got back from Myrtle (Hate Bikers) Beach and the new Helmet law will go into effect in December but the noise law is in effect now. Due to the fact that there is some delay to act on these ordinances, the noise law will not effect the fall rally in October. There is a total of 15 ordinances. There is a link at the bottom of this page to all 15 with 2 samples below.

As follows:

Myrtle Beach's proposed motorcycle rally ordinances:

Samples:

Ordinance 2008-68: The Noise Ordinance

What it says: Motor vehicles that do not meet city noise standards can be impounded and stored until the owner or operator can get them out of town without operating them illegally. Also, leave the rubber on your tires, not on the road.

Details:

Motorcycles built after Dec. 31, 1982, must have unmodified exhaust mufflers bearing federal Environmental Protection Agency stickers or stamps. Motorcycles built before Dec. 31, 1982, must not be louder than 83 decibels when measured from 20 inches away.

Not allowed: broken, straight-pipe, hollow-core or off-road mufflers, a muffler system that bypasses the regular muffler system or any muffler that is modified to increase noise.

Regardless of the muffler, you cannot: "burn out," "burn rubber," "lay down rubber" or "peel rubber."

Penalty: An administrative infraction and vehicle can be impounded and stored until the rider/driver/owner can either fix the muffler system or get the vehicle out of town without driving it.

When it takes effect: 90 days after adoption.

Ordinance 2008-64: The Helmet Law

What it says: Anyone on a motorcycle or mo-ped must wear a helmet and protective eyewear inside city limits.

Details:

Helmets must meet federal safety standards. Such helmets come with stickers inside indicating compliance, but even if the stickers are missing, the helmet is OK as long as it's clearly compliant.

Helmets must have chinstraps and they must be used.

Protective eyewear includes sunglasses and goggles, but does not require a full-face shield.

No one can sell helmets for road use that do not meet safety standards.

Penalty: An administrative infraction. See Ordinance 2008-71 for explanation.

A link to the Myrtle Beach Online site:

[link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just got back from Myrtle (Hate Bikers) Beach and the new Helmet law will go into effect in December but the noise law is in effect now. Due to the fact that there is some delay to act on these ordinances, the noise law will not effect the fall rally in October. There is a total of 15 ordinances. There is a link at the bottom of this page to all 15 with 2 samples below.

As follows:

Myrtle Beach's proposed motorcycle rally ordinances:

Samples:

Ordinance 2008-68: The Noise Ordinance

What it says: Motor vehicles that do not meet city noise standards can be impounded and stored until the owner or operator can get them out of town without operating them illegally. Also, leave the rubber on your tires, not on the road.

Details:

Motorcycles built after Dec. 31, 1982, must have unmodified exhaust mufflers bearing federal Environmental Protection Agency stickers or stamps. Motorcycles built before Dec. 31, 1982, must not be louder than 83 decibels when measured from 20 inches away.

Not allowed: broken, straight-pipe, hollow-core or off-road mufflers, a muffler system that bypasses the regular muffler system or any muffler that is modified to increase noise.

Regardless of the muffler, you cannot: "burn out," "burn rubber," "lay down rubber" or "peel rubber."

Penalty: An administrative infraction and vehicle can be impounded and stored until the rider/driver/owner can either fix the muffler system or get the vehicle out of town without driving it.

I guess I have to take Myrtle Beach off my list of places to visit...I have a 2004 Sporty w/ Drag Pipes, even with baffles would not be legal :(

The real danger here is our freedoms are being infringed upon, exclusion is the first step dictators and facists use to control the uninformed...real scary in these rough financial times! :small3d023:

Last edited:
I am curious about the mufflers. Are aftermarket pipes like Screaming Eagles and Vance and Hines acceptable??

I am curious about the mufflers. Are aftermarket pipes like Screaming Eagles and Vance and Hines acceptable??

If you read the exerpt...NO! Only FED EPA approved mufflers (HD OEM equipment) are legal and before 1982, must meet the 83dB at 20 feet...inches? (I do not know from the quote) at what angle(s)...so there may be a little wiggle room for the pre-1982 crowd :newsmile022:

Last edited:
Again this is a case of a few idiots acting without any thoughts of the results of their actions, any everyone else having to pay the price.
My understanding is that Myrtle Beach is trying to promote themseves as a "family vacation and golfing" stop and crowds of Harleys and crotch rockects with riders acting like idiots and drunks stagering about in public doesn't fit.
From what I read bike week in Daytonia and Sturges are having the same issues with people who think we all are the Hells Angles.
Maybe some positive PR like poker runs,fund raiser with the proceeds going to local charities and the like would help off set the damage done by the few morons among us who ride loud and wrecklessly for all to see.

MB is obviously anit-biker but the surrounding towns are not. Only Myrtle Beach has any of these ordinances. I for one am boycotting MB so join the club and take your business to one of the surrounding communities. Lets hit MB in the wallet and let them see the error in their ways. Rob

Too bad, I'm set to vacation there next year with my in-laws and was debating bringing the bike if my father-in-law would bring his. Guess it is out of the question now...since I don't even own the original stock muffler to my bob.

A few friends of mine made the trip this year and they told me that all these laws are in fact in place and most cops are trying to enforce them. Its a bit harder when there is alot of us at one time. According to my buddies, the local shop keepers are very helpful in letting bikers know where they can and cant ride to get around the ordinances. The retail stores and shop keepers are definitely NOT the ones pushing these laws....they want our money. I will go back to Myrtle Beach and just steer clear of the ordinance areas....

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Again this is a case of a few idiots acting without any thoughts of the results of their actions, any everyone else having to pay the price.
My understanding is that Myrtle Beach is trying to promote themseves as a "family vacation and golfing" stop and crowds of Harleys and crotch rockects with riders acting like idiots and drunks stagering about in public doesn't fit.
From what I read bike week in Daytonia and Sturges are having the same issues with people who think we all are the Hells Angles.
Maybe some positive PR like poker runs,fund raiser with the proceeds going to local charities and the like would help off set the damage done by the few morons among us who ride loud and wrecklessly for all to see.

Well, I have to disagree with this. Spent 4 days in Daytona for Biketoberfest and never once encountered a negative attitude from any of the locals. Hotel staff, restaurant staff, speedway employees, etc. Heck, I never even got a glare or a honk from any folks in cars or pedestrians. Of course, I behaved myself impeccably! Just ask Maysflyboy, Lancer, or Navyman!

Back