free website stats program new motor | Harley Davidson Forums

new motor

fattyboy

Hi all well got motor all dialed in,Have one ?, It has 140 miles on it i notice on the thunder header at the cone part it was kind of black,i wiped it off i stuck my fingers in the pipe and it was kind of sticky it was like oil, is this normal,maybe its becouse it only has a 140 miles on it and the rings havent seated yet dont no anybody have any input thanks.

Hi all well got motor all dialed in,Have one ?, It has 140 miles on it i notice on the thunder header at the cone part it was kind of black,i wiped it off i stuck my fingers in the pipe and it was kind of sticky it was like oil, is this normal,maybe its becouse it only has a 140 miles on it and the rings havent seated yet dont no anybody have any input thanks.

Are you talking about the tip (end) of the Thunderheader? There is an oily residue there? Have you done a ring seating break-in? Check this out:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Keep an eye on the oil, may be a bad oil seal on a valve, pull the plugs and have a look at them

Yes its on the tip,and i did the break in like they said.I did have red line oil in it until 50 miles,I drained it out went with 20-50 harley oil,I didnt no,

Yes its on the tip,and i did the break in like they said.I did have red line oil in it until 50 miles,I drained it out went with 20-50 harley oil,I didnt no,

Usually on break-in it is not unusual to have some blow-by oil but it should Not have it after 250 miles most.

I do break-in with Dino oil, 12/1500 miles, then switch back to Redline 20/50 on my builds.

Keep an eye on it and IF you have a compression gauge? check the Cold Cranking Compression, CCC and see what the pressure is Front and Rear and IF even. Not More then 10% in pressure from front and back... I always do that on a new engine and Write that number down for future reference... This will help tell where the oil is com'n from..IF low pressure in one cylinder, the one with the oily plug.

This will tell you Much about the engine and it's condition.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie,Well did comp. ck. on it with a 144 miles.120 in both cyls.Shoild have alot more than that,bored 10 over,pop up pistons,htcc heads,woods 9fg.cams.just dont get it.Any ideas. Thanks.Fattyboy.

Hi Bubbie,Well did comp. ck. on it with a 144 miles.120 in both cyls.Shoild have alot more than that,bored 10 over,pop up pistons,htcc heads,woods 9fg.cams.just dont get it.Any ideas. Thanks.Fattyboy.

Did you have the throttle open all the way when taking the Compression?

Yes 120 sounds really low But even is a good start.. Not sure on the modifications you have done.

What is the altitude above sea level where you are located. This does make a difference.

most engines will run at a Low 160, better with higher 180. Depends on lot of the build details. what pistons are they and how much compression do they say you'll have? If your build parts don't match a PLAN, this Might be the problem.
If the cam timing and valve open and close is correct, the cam may be wrong for this build. The intake closes at 52,,, I think this MIGHT be way too big of a cam to match the rest of your build.

Where did you get the plan for the BUILD parts. was it a working motor copy?

Remember a Big Cam Needs COMPRESSION to replace what it looses in timing... 52* is a Lot of timing and IF the heads and pistons Don't compress enough compression you will have Low compression. No power and I think that is what you have.

My thinking is a cam with 40*on an intake close would be more than enough.

get back with these answers and we'll go from there.

A cam change MIGHT be all she needs.

signed....BUBBIE

Here is a sample of a SMALLER but LARGE cam...

this is talk on using a SE 259 cam..
Notice the intake valve closes at 47* when your wood cam closes at 52*... BIG Difference...

Any motors I have built, I have never gone over 40* on an intake close.Using lots of compression like YOU Don't have. My Compression = 10.5 using Wiesco pistons.head work,larger valves and springs.

example is from another forum.... talking about a smaller cam than you used. Needed modifications and Still Not Enough.

the SE 259

Deck the heads .040
.030 head gasket
Se 10.5 .1 advertised pistons.
Actually decking the heads .060 is better if starting with fresh heads.
Not knowing what yours have been decked already hard to say,
But with a .030 head gasket and .040 off the heads....[B]it still wasn't quite enought compression..IMO.[/B]
It depends greatly on the level of tuner you have.
Some can tune high compression and some struggle.

Now take this as food for thought. Hind-sight

IF I were to build a Big engine,,,,, I'd Look at what some other BUILDER has put together and dyno'ed for Me to copy and then it will work with the Hot parts. No guessing involved

These builders do this in their life time and KNOW what parts do what and Best to COPY a motor than to try to Guess.

Now IF you copied a Known motor and it said it would work??????? Hmmmmmmm

signed....BUBBIE

Back