free website stats program new member | Harley Davidson Forums

dmac05

I purchased a 2005 XL1200C from the bikes third owner. Between the three of them they managed to put 2245 miles on it. I have had it about four weeks and just did a 5000 mile service. Much to my surprise, when I drained the primary/ Transmission oil it had quite bit of water in it. I ran the bike for a bit, drained the new oil and it was still milky so I put another load of fresh oil in and will pick up more oil tomorrow and change it until its clear. The question is, Where did it come from? We live in the desert so I can't imagine condensation as I tried to put the oil i got out into a quart oil bottle and didn't come close to getting it in. I probably had three or four oz. left over. I'm thinking someone went crazy with a pressure washer and forced water in thru a vent. Is that possible? This is not my first Harley but it sure is the first time i've seen this problem

Welcome from Spokane.
Look at the oil seal on the oil filler cap / dip stick.
If it look a bit chewed up replace it and check the threaded area it seals at for rough spots.

Welcome from NW Indiana. Make sure you get all of that moisture out of there by (what else) riding it often.:p As Joel said, check out the seals on the filler cap and dip stick.

Back