free website stats program New member looking for advice | Harley Davidson Forums

New member looking for advice

FreeBird88

I'm looking to buy a new Harley and need some advice. I have little to no experience riding bikes on or off road and this will be my first bike. I need some advice on what bike to choose. I'm trying to decide between a sportster 1200 custom and a dyna super glide custom. Any help on this subject would be appreciated!

Jason

My suggestion would be to look up your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginning riding course. It's a 2 day course, costs about $150 minus your helmet, boots, gloves you must have for the course. They provide the bikes, usually 250cc, to train on. This will give you your basic safety training and low speed manuvering practice that translates to any size or brand bike you can buy. Once you've taken and passed the couse get your proper motorcycle endorsement / license if your state requires it and then go take test rides or rent various bikes and see what fits, what feels good, and what turns you on. I had been away from riding for a long time and wanted a FatBob and ended up buying a Electra Glide Standard (FLHT) and found I love baggers.

My suggestion would be to look up your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginning riding course. It's a 2 day course, costs about $150 minus your helmet, boots, gloves you must have for the course. They provide the bikes, usually 250cc, to train on. This will give you your basic safety training and low speed manuvering practice that translates to any size or brand bike you can buy. Once you've taken and passed the couse get your proper motorcycle endorsement / license if your state requires it and then go take test rides or rent various bikes and see what fits, what feels good, and what turns you on.

^^^what he said^^^

Great advise Buzzy.

There is no sub for the MSF.

My suggestion would be to look up your local Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) beginning riding course. It's a 2 day course, costs about $150 minus your helmet, boots, gloves you must have for the course. They provide the bikes, usually 250cc, to train on. This will give you your basic safety training and low speed manuvering practice that translates to any size or brand bike you can buy. Once you've taken and passed the couse get your proper motorcycle endorsement / license if your state requires it and then go take test rides or rent various bikes and see what fits, what feels good, and what turns you on. I had been away from riding for a long time and wanted a FatBob and ended up buying a Electra Glide Standard (FLHT) and found I love baggers.

At least around here, the MSF folks provide helmets too. So you just need gloves (any full glove) and boots (anything over the ankle.)

I've only been riding less than a year. I took the MSF Basic course (which I also highly endorse) and then went out and got an XL1200C. I love it and have spent many hours and dollars chroming it out. (Also lots of hours riding!) Lots of folks will tell you that you'll "outgrow" a Sporty. My view is that I would love another bigger bike for the longer rides (and will likely get a Road King Classic for that), but I'd hate to give up the Sporty for just throwing it around in the twisties. It's still the fastest and most nimble stock bike HD makes.

JMMV

Good advice (as always) Hobbit.

And yes, the Sporty is a bit top heavy. I dropped it in a parking lot when it was a couple of weeks old. Once it started going down I didn't have the strength to keep it from going all the way. Did I mention that engine guards are a good investment for a new rider? (Doesn't protect much in high speed dumps, but you can't tell my bike has been on it's side.)

I'm looking to buy a new Harley and need some advice. I have little to no experience riding bikes on or off road and this will be my first bike. I need some advice on what bike to choose. I'm trying to decide between a sportster 1200 custom and a dyna super glide custom. Any help on this subject would be appreciated!

Jason
My choice was simpler; Harley or Jap. The Sportster won hands down coz I'd ridden Japs all my life. Got some stick from some folk (non riders) about it being girlie. Just offered them a ride, the standard shocks scared the (EDIT) out of any who jumped on. I'd forgotten what shear basic fun riding could be. Like the others said though, if first bike, I would get some serious practice and advice (may sound boring but it is just right).
Totally hooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Ultra Classic (bagger) and a 1200 Sporty , and I love them both. I`m 55 years young :D and been riding since I was 12. I did not start on Harleys though! But now, as long as It`s a "Harley" ya can`t go wrong. Either bike you mentioned is good, but take a rider course before you HIT(pun intened) the road.:s Good luck.:yes

I just took this course and I really wish I could have gotten in last year. I highly recomend it. Some of the people who never had ridden before had the highest scores.

Back