free website stats program New Member frustrated with Noise bikes making!! | Harley Davidson Forums

New Member frustrated with Noise bikes making!!

4evryng13

Help Needed.... Just put my 89 sportster 883 back together after a little crash. replaced everything, fluids, handlebars, gas tank, spark plugs,shocks mainly cosmetics. When i started the bike for the first time it fired right up but now theres a really loud clink, clink, clink, Noise. Its very loud and sounds like the clutch or a piston to me. From the exhaust idle i can tell somethings now working, very new to harley mechanics. If any knows what this could be and easiest way to fix it please help me.

Thank you.

Help Needed.... Just put my 89 sportster 883 back together after a little crash. replaced everything, fluids, handlebars, gas tank, spark plugs,shocks mainly cosmetics. When i started the bike for the first time it fired right up but now theres a really loud clink, clink, clink, Noise. Its very loud and sounds like the clutch or a piston to me. From the exhaust idle i can tell somethings now working, very new to harley mechanics. If any knows what this could be and easiest way to fix it please help me.

Thank you.

Could be a stuck exhaust valve.... Put our hand over the exhaust while idling, to see if exhaust is going OUT only and not drawing back IN...

Other than that ? For now.
How long did motor sit from time off.....?

signed....BUBBIE

It could be that the exhaust is not properly sealed at the head
or the a lifter has given up after being rested for a while

Brian

Unfortunately i can't check the exhaust right now, but when i did it was doing like a chugging i honestly couldnt tell if it was drawing the air back in. The bike sat idle for about 30 days. The clutch got stuck in gear, I tried to adjust the clutch tension to see if it would help release it it didnt. But recently i put in the new fluids and it released the clutch allowing me to get into neutral and roll. If the clutch isn't set right, tension wise could it be causing that loud of clink??

Thanks for your help!

This may not apply but the price is right.

Long ago when I was a wee lad the old mechanics would take a playing card and hold it over the end of the tail pipe on a car to check for a sticking exhaust valve. It should flap and will be sucked back ever so often. Of course this was on a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.

The other thing they would do is use a wooden yardstick - other than the one at the house I have not seen one in many moons. They would lay it against their ear and put the other end on different parts of the engine. That way they could sometimes isolate where a sound was coming from.

It may not help but it sure won't cost much to try it.

Thank you guys so far for your input i've had time to try out a few things on my bike. I had a garden intrument that worked very similar to the yard stick trick that you suggested. I've definitely have narrowed it down to 2 things. It sounds like the starter or the transmission was the the source of the noise. Could a gear be loose or possible have a broken tooth on it i'm not sure. Or could the starter silinoid be spinning and hitting on the inside. Not familier with transmissions, good with starters. If anyone knows what this is or experienced this input would be great. Thank You everyone and ride safe.
4evryng13

Thank you guys so far for your input i've had time to try out a few things on my bike. I had a garden intrument that worked very similar to the yard stick trick that you suggested. I've definitely have narrowed it down to 2 things. It sounds like the starter or the transmission was the the source of the noise. Could a gear be loose or possible have a broken tooth on it i'm not sure. Or could the starter silinoid be spinning and hitting on the inside. Not familier with transmissions, good with starters. If anyone knows what this is or experienced this input would be great. Thank You everyone and ride safe.
4evryng13

DID you check the Play of the primary chain? IF loose (1/2 to 5/8 inch Cold) checked at inspection cover/sever places to make sure it is NOT too tight.......
Too loose WILL cause a noise you say you hear.. Chain Slapping around and hitting the chain-case....

Also if the starter drive Doesn't return properly it could make a grind or pop sound when it hits the big starter gear...

I would First check the Primary chain for the proper adjustment.... IF really loose, YOU probably have found the noise/problem.

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys but again thank you for all your good advice. I was able to correct the noise by adjusting the primary, draining and putting in new tranny fluid. The clicking slightly got quiter so i finally road it to work the fluid into the gears. About my second trip around the block shifting through all the gears the noise was gone!!! FINALLY. Back on the road after a bad accident over a month ago and it feels great!!! Thank you i look forward to reading more of the great advice given here!

Back