free website stats program New member from NY | Harley Davidson Forums

New member from NY

greywolff

I am a new member to this forum and a new rider to HD, I have been riding my 98 Sportster XL 1200 for about 5 years now and I love it. My question is; should I put a stage 1 kit on my sporty to give it more power ? I have screaming eagle pipes on it. What should I do? How can I get more power.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. :ws

There is a lot of information in the self help area, plus lots of members that have a ton of knowledge, but I believe that a stage one includes some kind of fuel adjustment, with either a download or some type of fuel controller, (I use the Doebeck for my bike, other options are available) a different air cleaner, (bigger to allow more air flow) and pipes.

Since you have the pipes already, you should only need to consider the type of fuel adjustment and the air cleaner.

I noticed quite a difference in my overall running temp, (just by feel) and definitely got better gas mileage.

Others can correct me if I have misguided you, but I think you will like the end results.

Joyflyin is corrected. You can read all over here. From what I see that yours is 1998 xl 1200 and have screaming eagle pipes. To completely the stage 1, you will need to change air filter and rejet your carburetor. I believe that Harley changed carb to EFI after 2007. For those who have EFI on bikes will need tuner instead of rejet carb. Others will chime in to help you.

:good
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa.

Ultimately the choice is yours... Addition of a air filter may get you 2-4 more H.P. If high flow air cleaner is installed rejetting is required to gain maximum output.

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Back