free website stats program New member and Harley rider with a problem | Harley Davidson Forums

New member and Harley rider with a problem

lawrence

My name is Lawrence, I ride a beautiful custom 03 Springer Softail. Recently I have experienced a small problem that the Harley shop could not find let alone fix.

At a stop, it felt as though it was fixing to run out of gas and then all by itself the engine stated racing and would not stop. I had about a 1/4 tank at this time. I was able to take off and throttled it a few times and all went back to normal. I filled up with gas and I rode it three or four times without any issue. Then it did the same thing again. Just like before it worked through a few moments of spurts and straightened out. Both these times no engine light ever came on.

Last night at highway speed it started spurtering as though it was running out of gas (full tank at this time). I throttled it a few times and all back to normal. This time the engine light came on for a short moment and back off again. The Harley shop ran a series of test. Fuel injection pressure test, checked for no codes, none were found, looked for any intake leaks and test drove it to duplicate the problem. All checked out fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Welcome to the forum. IMO it sounds like you may have some water in your tank, was the bike setting for any length of time.

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota, someone will chime in soon and give you some good advice. Lots of smart people on the site with years of exp.:wce

My name is Lawrence, I ride a beautiful custom 03 Springer Softail. Recently I have experienced a small problem that the Harley shop could not find let alone fix.

At a stop, it felt as though it was fixing to run out of gas and then all by itself the engine stated racing and would not stop. I had about a 1/4 tank at this time. I was able to take off and throttled it a few times and all went back to normal. I filled up with gas and I rode it three or four times without any issue. Then it did the same thing again. Just like before it worked through a few moments of spurts and straightened out. Both these times no engine light ever came on.

Last night at highway speed it started spurtering as though it was running out of gas (full tank at this time). I throttled it a few times and all back to normal. This time the engine light came on for a short moment and back off again. The Harley shop ran a series of test. Fuel injection pressure test, checked for no codes, none were found, looked for any intake leaks and test drove it to duplicate the problem. All checked out fine. Any suggestions? Thanks
Welcome to The Forum Harley Davidson Community have a look here does this sound familiar?

Thanks looking forward to some help.

Has not been setting at all. Gets ridden daily

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe check the fuel cap. The venting might not work correctly and then you suck a vacuum. Had the same problem on an Yamaha couple of years ago.

welcome to the forum, tell us a little more about the bike I take it that it's injected any add on fuel mangement ,exhaust ,air filter etc, shooting from the hip my guess is ih the tank filter shell,filter,fuel line,fuel pressure regulator:small3d031:

I know it has Vance Hines exhaust as for the airfilter and add on fuel mgt, I am unsure. I bought it last May and have ridden it 4-5 times a week without any problems. It starts right up and idles just fine. . It has right at 18,000 miles on it. Full service was done by Harley shop last September, tune up, fluid change. cable and clutch adjustments, the works. It has never given my one bit of problem until a few weeks ago out of the blue. Another forum suggeted it might be the CKP sensor or the hot cold idle sensor. I haven't a clue.

Maybe check the fuel cap. The venting might not work correctly and then you suck a vacuum. Had the same problem on an Yamaha couple of years ago.

I will check that out, Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back