free website stats program New Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

New Issue

My brake light won't turn off for whatever reason.
I changed my brake pressure switch right behind my master cylinder, that didn't work, so I traced my wires over to my "fuse" box, and thought a erlay was bad, so I changed all of those since I was there. Still no change, thought I might have another switch in my housing on the bars where my start button is, and there was nothing there. So if you've had this problem or might have an idea I'm all ears! This started out of nowhere btw...

I changed my brake pressure switch right behind my master cylinder, that didn't work, so I traced my wires over to my "fuse" box, and thought a erlay was bad, so I changed all of those since I was there. Still no change, thought I might have another switch in my housing on the bars where my start button is, and there was nothing there. So if you've had this problem or might have an idea I'm all ears! This started out of nowhere btw...

Did you recently change levers? If so, it's possible that you didn't get the pin aligned properly on the switch. Somebody with a '91 changed levers recently, or maybe it was last year?

Did you recently change levers? If so, it's possible that you didn't get the pin aligned properly on the switch. Somebody with a '91 changed levers recently, or maybe it was last year?

No I haven't changed my levers yet, I was getting ready to then I noticed this problem.

No I haven't changed my levers yet, I was getting ready to then I noticed this problem.

I would JUST change out the levers I don't think the older ones used a switch in the front brake , Just a Pressure regulator at the rear brake area(for both)...

Did you Loosen a fitting to RELIEVE the brake fluid pressure??? I think that is how your older model works (pressure).. On mine, I needed to get a NEW pressure sensor on my 2000 FXDS OR my 97 year bike...

If it doesn't turn light OFF after Relieving pressure, it is probably STUCK on at that pressure switch... (need new one) Seemed they aren't much in $$ but I replaced mine either on the 2000 or the 1997???
one or the other...

signed....BUBBIE

There are two brake switches, one for the lever and one switch in line with the hose/rear master cylinder. As others have stated the foibles regarding the front m/c switch is it may be damaged by failure to shim the lever when disassembling/replacing or failure to reseat the copper wedge spring that presses the switch snug to the housing (it will be floating in the housing or on the floor). The rear switch is mounted low, so gets all the road mud and debris...that and old brake fluid will acumulate water and corrosion will seep in pass the rubber seal and destroy in from the inside out. I thing there was a post by the illustrious Hoop that found an alternate part that works better than the H-D one...use the search tab to find it. I have run out of time to find the link.:coffee

On my 92 softail there is a switch on the right side switch cluster right behind the brake leaver as the brake is applied the wee switch comes out lighting up the brake light when you release the pressure on the brake the heel on the leaver pushes the switch in putting the light off
if the leaver is not lined up properly the at the rear of the switch housing the wee switch can come out and be on all the time

Brian

As stated above, there are two switches. Front one is built into the switch/lever housing and activates when the lever is pulled. Otherwise, you would not get brake light indication when just applying front brake.

On my '91, I have to make sure that the swithc housing is in just the right position when securing it against the lever housing. Check this out:

Replacing Front Brake Light Switch - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I would JUST change out the levers I think the older ones used a switch at the front brake handle, Just a Pressure regulator at the rear brake area...

Did you Loosen a fitting to RELIEVE the brake fluid pressure??? I think that is how your older model works (pressure).. On mine, I needed to get a NEW pressure sensor on my 2000 FXDS OR my 97 year bike...

If it doesn't turn light OFF after Relieving pressure, it is probably STUCK on at that pressure switch... (need new one) Seemed they aren't much in $$ but I replaced mine either on the 2000 or the 1997???
one or the other...

signed....BUBBIE

I modified this from MY first post as I used the WRONG wording and Even thinking.... Thanks TQ1 .....i read your post then re-read mine..

Try this out again please...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the info gents, I took apart my front brake housing and located the switch. It was stuck, sprayed a little wd-40 to see if that would solve the problem before I replaced it. Sure enough it worked.

Back