free website stats program New Ignition Switch Cuts Engine | Harley Davidson Forums

New Ignition Switch Cuts Engine

patxa

Hi All,
My Local Harley Tech just installed a new ignition switch on my 1987 Softail. Its Supposed to me an electronic switch or something. He also Installed a new Single fire coil.

The problem is now when i turn the switche to the final position to turn the headlights on the engine cuts out. It seems that in the transition from the the On position to the On with headlights position power cuts out to the engine stalling the Bike. On my Old non electronic switch i could turn headlights on and off via the ignition switch without problems. I called the tech back and his response is that you give the engine a rev when you switch the lights on and thats enough to stop the engine stalling from the momentary loss of power.

Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Sounds like maybe a difference in the switch, going from stock to aftermarket??? Don't sound like there's much choice but rev the engine before turning on the lights.

As Chopper noted, not all switches are crated equal. One of the specs of a multiposition rotary switch is whether it is a "Make Before Break" type function. Sounds like the OEM one has such contacts, the aftermarket or "replacement" one is not...a "Break Before Make" type.

The earlier factory switches had a jumper wire from the "lights" position to the "run" position on the back of the switch that could be removed to give you ignition without the lights on. If you have the extra position on the switch, you may need the jumper for the ignition position connected that may have been overlooked.
Many have removed the small jumper to give them ignition without the lights on .

I have mine wired as Glider indicated, first click gives me ignition and no lights, next click turns the lights on. When you make that final click, either do it fast or blip the throttle because it will loose ignition for an instant.

This makes cold starts easier but you need to remember to turn the lights on..

Doug

My softail is the same when you turn the switch the final click it cuts power for an instant and engine may die if it isnt going fast enough

Brian

Back