free website stats program New here, but old car,boat wrench newer to MCs | Harley Davidson Forums

New here, but old car,boat wrench newer to MCs

Signman

Engine swap out on a 09 Ultra, what may be needed to swap out a tired 96 to a 2012 103 . I have obtained a 2012 103 motor and interested in what I may need to swap out the motors. I had upgraded the compensator and clutch basket last year. I know I need the wiring assembly for the ACR and will need to flash the ECM. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
As long as the 2012 motor is out of a touring model, it will drop right in. I would suggest adding fuel management, like DJ Power Vision and getting the 103 on a dyno for a proper tune rather than flashing the ECM.

Thanks, yes it is out of a Ultra Classic, I appreciate your input. I did mis type the year mine is an 07 not an 09.

Thanks all, I'm an old wrench from the 60s and 70s, wrenched on muscle cars and marine engines, gettin into harleys and loving it.

Welcome to the forum from Spokane, good luck on your project
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, yes it is out of a Ultra Classic, I appreciate your input. I did mis type the year mine is an 07 not an 09.

Still a drop in swap. The touring frame changed in '09 and the front motor mount changed with the addition of a stabilize to the front head and the exhaust changed to the cross under setup. Neither of those changes should affect your swap although the cross under exhaust is a worthwhile upgrade as it removes a lot of heat away from rider/passenger. If interested in making that swap, let me know. I have done it on my '02 FLHT and have a photo documented step by step "how to" that I can post for you.

Back