free website stats program New headlight bulb | Harley Davidson Forums

New headlight bulb

My 06 Sportster

Help! I want to change out my headlight bulb, and I removed some screws and what looks like a wire for the adjustment of the bulb. My problem is I don't know how it goes back on. Pictures would be great if anyone else has done this. I feel stupid for not taking pictures while I removed it, but I actually thought it would be as simple as removing the old bulb and putting in the new one. Dummy me removed more than I needed to. Thanks for anyhelp.

Help! I want to change out my headlight bulb, and I removed some screws and what looks like a wire for the adjustment of the bulb. My problem is I don't know how it goes back on. Pictures would be great if anyone else has done this. I feel stupid for not taking pictures while I removed it, but I actually thought it would be as simple as removing the old bulb and putting in the new one. Dummy me removed more than I needed to. Thanks for anyhelp.

Not to familar with the sportster but I have never heard of a wire for the adj. of the bulb???? The bulb socket / harness and maybe a single ground wire is all that I know. Take a pic. of what you have now and let us take a look!!

I think what My06Sportster is referring to is the headlamp retaining wire which indexes in the headlamp shell reflector, a groove and slot tensions the clip to hold the lamp element base. I will post the headlamp diagram here once I find it...

HeadlampAssyDrawing.jpg

Last edited:
Did you take the lamp off? I've changed the bulb on my custom, but I only removed the molding ring and lense. That diagram looks helpful?!?

The picture is very close!! It is a retaining pin that I removed among other parts. I will take a picture tonight and post it. Thanks.

Here are two pictures I took of the dismantled headlight. I can't figure out which way the retaining pin goes on. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN1009.JPG
    DSCN1009.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN1010.JPG
    DSCN1010.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 84
What you are calling a retaining pin is really a spring clip to hold the bulb in place from the front. the clip goes around the bulb & clips between two tabs... refer to the diagram that was sent... take your time, look carefully & it will come to you...

Here is a picture of the inside of the headlight assembly showing how the wire retainer is installed. I hope this helps! Just click on the thumbnail picture to see it larger.

Attachments

• headlamp.jpg
    headlamp.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 209
Yes, great images & it looks like you might've bent the retaining clip/wire a tad so just follow the diagram(s). Also, don't forget to re-adjust the headlight beam when you get everything back on the bike. These instructions are also in your owner's manual.

Back