free website stats program New Harley Owner - vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

New Harley Owner - vibration

bdonald

Just bought a 2008 Ultra this year with 3200 miles on it. A week after I had it, it started to over heat and run rough. I took it back to the dealer and had them look at it. To make a long story short, they over filled the oil in the bike. They fixed that but it seems like the bike runs rougher now. Would over filling the oil effect the crankshaft run out? With being a new owner of a Harley, I don't know if it is just me. At idle the bike does shake quiet a bit to what I am used to. Any advise?

What are you used to?? The A engine bikes will all vibrate at idle, but smooth out as you accelerate.

I have owned a BMW and 3 Kawasaki before this.

The day the bike overheated the oil pressure went down to almost 0 at idle, but came up to 32 at speed. It was a cool day (65) and the ride did not involve alot of prolonged stopping. The bike ran fine on the way down, but started to run rough on the way back. At first the dealer said nothing was wrong, but I finally got it out of them that they over filled the bike. They said it was fine and that nothing should have happened to the bike. I would like to believe them, but I don't trust what a dealer will always tell me. I know that the crank would be slapping some oil with it being over filled. I put on maybe 50 miles with the bike in this condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to check and see if your bike has had it's fuel filter replaced. The 08 ultras had a recall on some of the fuel filters. It gets a crack that causes the bike to run rough at first then really REALLY BAD! It happened to mine :(

overfilling would usually just make it burn it or puke out of the air cleaner all over your leg .. i would try to find someone with a 08 and see how much there engine shakes .. its all subjective as mine shakes less than a friends 08

Enjoy your new ride, at a stop light, I have vibration as well, ultra and others in that family do that. I would say if it runs good riding dont sweat the idle part as long as it keeps running.

overfilling would usually just make it burn it or puke out of the air cleaner all over your leg .. i would try to find someone with a 08 and see how much there engine shakes .. its all subjective as mine shakes less than a friends 08

That is because your bike is grateful to you for all the great service...they do have "personality"...:D

With the engine cool, remove the spark plugs to see if 1 is contaminated, plugs are cheep, put 2 new ones in, if it overheated a plug may be breaking down, my 08 ultra shakes at idle but smooths out nice above idle, good luck with the new ride.

I have owned a BMW and 3 Kawasaki before this.

The day the bike overheated the oil pressure went down to almost 0 at idle, but came up to 32 at speed. It was a cool day (65) and the ride did not involve alot of prolonged stopping. The bike ran fine on the way down, but started to run rough on the way back. At first the dealer said nothing was wrong, but I finally got it out of them that they over filled the bike. They said it was fine and that nothing should have happened to the bike. I would like to believe them, but I don't trust what a dealer will always tell me. I know that the crank would be slapping some oil with it being over filled. I put on maybe 50 miles with the bike in this condition.

Unlike bmw and kawasaki harley davidson engines dont hold their oil in the engine they use a dry sump system and a seprate oil tank so the crank will not be slapping some oil

Brian

Back