free website stats program New Guy! What bike do I even have? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Guy! What bike do I even have?

zhillz

Hey guys,
My stepdad got this little bike a while back the guy said it was an old moped. Well, this thing does seem pretty old but is branded with HD all over it. Its been sitting in the corner of my shop and I have decided i would like to do something with it but i dont even know what it is so lets start there.

How easy is it to get parts or is there a company that remanufactures parts?

PICS:

2vintl4.jpg

e65zs8.jpg

2i7blfr.jpg

the motor is torn apart but i believe its complete in this box.

15fmaue.jpg

Excellent! Get it fixed back up. Might be a home for it at HD if you don't want it.

Hobbit is right on the money, as usual. That looks like a 1966 M-50 Sport. they were built in Italy by the Aermacchi Co. and badged HD after Harley bought a share of the company in 1960. In 67 they added 15cc and called it the M-65 Sport. They sold for around $225.00. 1968 was Harley's last attempt at mopeds. Thank goodness.

Info from The Ultimate Harley Davidson by Hugo Wilson published 2000

1966 Harley Davidson Sportcycle Scooter Vintage Print Ad

Hobbit is right on the money, as usual. That looks like a 1966 M-50 Sport. they were built in Italy by the Aermacchi Co. and badged HD after Harley bought a share of the company in 1960. In 67 they added 15cc and called it the M-65 Sport. They sold for around $225.00. 1968 was Harley's last attempt at mopeds. Thank goodness.

Info from The Ultimate Harley Davidson by Hugo Wilson published 2000

"--the nicest people are on a-a-a-Harley..."

After Jammr' comment it took awhile to remember this early Italian company collaboration...just think if the positive image stuck like it did for the other "H" company. Funny how the cards played out, you guys are the best!:p

Last edited:
Being a true Hd follower and rider I want to say you have something special in your hands.
I hope you take the time to restore it carefully and as it was new.
No short cuts or back yard work on it .
Then display it proudly.
If I owned it when it was done I would put it in my living room.
I agree. You have a special piece on your hands there. Only 10,500 were made and very few were shipped to America due to low demand. If it were accurately and faithfully restored, it might be worth some serious $$$ to a collector or the MoCo. I'd love to own such a piece of Harley history. As far as parking it in my living room - well, then I could admire it as I write the alimony check every month! Hahaha.

I like it myself and would consider buying it and restoring it but even if you got the bike "free", like the current owner, I think by the time you find all the parts, (near impossible task, maybe), and do all the mechanical and restorative work, you'd be buried alive in it. I don't think it has any tremendous collectible value, it's more of a curiosity, and one of those bikes that would be far better found in clean complete condition so it doesn't become a financially imprudent project. Unlike some true American built Harley motorcycles that are worth a ton of money and well worth a labor of love and a big infusion of cash, what you have here after all is an off-shore but Harley branded little mini-bike kinda thing. JMHO.
Good points all, Rich. Here's a site that claims to have 1/2 million worth of parts and literature for the Aermacchis. Interesting and may be of help to the OP. Moto Italia

I had no idea that there was such an active market for those things.

I like it myself and would consider buying it and restoring it but even if you got the bike "free", like the current owner, I think by the time you find all the parts, (near impossible task, maybe), and do all the mechanical and restorative work, you'd be buried alive in it. I don't think it has any tremendous collectible value, it's more of a curiosity, and one of those bikes that would be far better found in clean complete condition so it doesn't become a financially imprudent project. Unlike some true American built Harley motorcycles that are worth a ton of money and well worth a labor of love and a big infusion of cash, what you have here after all is an off-shore but Harley branded little mini-bike kinda thing. JMHO.

RichardS, you kinda miss the point, many nostalgia buffs (including you) have to admit that we all own things that our kids or "rational people" would never consider as valuable, but then we are HDT people :small3d036:.

Only when these things line up do we actually buy...Opportunity, Luck, Finances, Negotiation (w/ our significant other) are in play; lest we forget the "Gotta Have It Factor...it is "just" a Harley after all 'nuff said! :D

Back