free website stats program New guy needs help | Harley Davidson Forums

New guy needs help

1bdi

Hi all
Great sight..lots of info!
I need some help. I just got a 2008 ultra classic from a used car dealer.
I was told several times the bike didn't have a fob and that I didn't need one. When I got it home and turned on the ignition a red key is displayed on the speedo and the bike won't start. I have read the posts on retrieving the pin and made several attempts but no luck.....I don't know if it has a TSM or TSSM.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Rick

Have you tried to contact the original owner? Title should have the name, right?

I guess that's where I would start.

Hi all
Great sight..lots of info!
I need some help. I just got a 2008 ultra classic from a used car dealer.
I was told several times the bike didn't have a fob and that I didn't need one. When I got it home and turned on the ignition a red key is displayed on the speedo and the bike won't start. I have read the posts on retrieving the pin and made several attempts but no luck.....I don't know if it has a TSM or TSSM.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Rick

You didn't start it at the dealer before bringing it home????:(

Welcome new guy, if you call your local dealer and give him the VIN number they can tell you the original owners name if you can't find out from the used car place, also most common used pin numbers are 3-1-3-1-3, 11111 or last 5digits of vin, if you can crack the personal code a dealer can then program a new fob to the bike, with out it you will have to replace the tssm.

I started it 3 times in there shop. drove it on the trailer myself.
I found the bill of sale with the original owners name & phone#.
I will give him a call! I was wondering if a low battery would cause this type of problem? It's charging now.

If it started at dealer you do not have the securty system must be weak baterry os some thing from sitting. You will see the red key on bikes without the securty system

I agree with Smitty, a weak battery will do that. By the year of the bike, it's most likely due for a new one. I've been lucky if I get more than two years out of a battery.
Wouldn't hurt to check all the connections on your bike. Don't forget to pick up a service manual as well, It's a must have for getting to know your bike.

Best of luck with your new ride and hopefully a nice long riding season.

If the engine cranks over security isn't the problem, security disables the starter, check the ground cable where it monts on starter also.

Thanks for all the help folks.
I was thinking of jumping it with my car. Would this be a bad idea?
I'm using a 12v 1amp. trickle charger and not getting anywhere.

Do a search on the forum for battery tender, you'll learn alot, I would not jump it off a car. I would buy a new AGM Harley battery, install it then check battery voltage at the battery before starting and after starting, it should be higher voltage after starting or you have a charging problem, don't panic everything is probably fine but a new battery won't hurt starting the season off right, especially since you are having prob;lems now. Jump starting off a car or truck could leed to more problems then you have right now.

Just finished reading some threads on jumping from a car!!
Won't be doing that!
I'll have to dig out my battery charger tomorrow and go at it the right way.
And yes a new battery is the thing to do. thanks Chopper!

Back